Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickles?

I was rolling up my rather meager collection of clad coins that I've found with my AT Pro, some $26+, and I noticed a distinct lack of nickles - only 7 of 'em. Gotta be missing a bunch of them. Not sure why. Anybody ever do a nickle only hunt?

I try to concentrate on nickles whenever I hunt. Since I started that a couple of months ago my gold finds have increased! TDI 46-54

Mudslingers

This is my first post.I too, noticed lack of nickles,and relized I was only "cherry picking" high tones on my AT.Its part of the learning curve,now I aim at nickles and found
GOLD rightaway. A womens 14k band with his and her initials and year 1969.I just started hunting last spring,and Im hooked.I didnt know it was such good exersise.Im 60 years old.
My heart jumps when I get a non bouncy low vdi. Oh , wife and I putting ad in a news letter trying to find owners of 43 yr. old ring.
That being said what wakes me up at night is how much gold did I pass up during my rookie status !!!!! Madison Wisc.

Yeah, every once in a while you will roll up on a school yard sports field thats been highgraded by somebody for the Q's and D's...but man, those days are big nickle days usually.
Mud

I've found more nickles with my AT pro than with my other Garrett. My brother finds almost none with his 1500 dollar whites. Clear tone and reads 53 over and over when you pass over it a couple of times. But the new pull tabs also read a 53 but with a slightly different tone. I'm using a small sniper coil and absolutly love it in trashy areas. You can really pick the coins out.

Like VDI53, I to have focused more on the high tones since getting my AT Pro last month. Guess I am going to have to start checking into the more solid tones lower on the scale. I know I might have passed over a good thing here or there but that high tone is such a sweet sound....

Denis

If you are not digging the 50's you are potentially missing out on alot more then nickels.

I made this video awhile ago...it would be worth watching, it should help you...

VDI Numbers video

I think nickels are the least minted coin. ( I read that somewhere but can't remember where) Plus when you get change there are fewer chances to get nickles then any other coin. Really no reason to get more then one nickel at a time when you are getting change when you could get several dimes, pennies, and quarters. Some of it might be people cherry picking but I think there are just a lot less nickles out there then the other coins.

I just air tested my AT Pro last night, thinking I would carry a cheat sheet until I remember the numbers. But as for nickels the new ones were coming in at 51 to 53 and the buffalo was coming in at 50 to 52. Now on some other detectors I have noticed that the VDI reading will get higher as the nickels get deeper in the ground up to a point. Of course after they get so deep they go away.

My brother has a test garden and I would need to try the AT Pro on some known targets to see if the VDI goes up with depth.

Ron in WV

I have an at pro and an at gold and over half of the nichols that I find have a bouncing vdi from 48-55. If you are not digging these vdi ranges you are missing good targets. I have dug over 200 nichols this year and 7 were V"s 3 Buffs and 1 Shield. Both of my detectors have the 5x8 dd coil. It took me awhile to figure this out. Good luck

I'm not a Garrett owner at this point in time other than the Pro-Pointer but! I've had my questions about nickles. Here is what I've found with a number of other detectors, now the why is still a question, but the knowing is helpful, here goes.

I have posted before about my findings on nickles, I called them the,
"Elusive" and "Evasive" coin!
I have a coin test garden, well a couple of them and in them is of course some nickles, the gardens has been buried for well over a year now.
The more nickles I planted the more curious I became with them. The other coins, Copper Pennies, older Clad dimes, Silver Quarter, 1800's Large Cent, Indian Cent, and Nickles.

So in and about the other coins I have nickles buried @
3"
4"
5"
and two different ones @ 6"

The other coins are @
3"
6" and
8"

All the non nickle targets holds VID numbers really well at the different depths, not perfect but close enough to pretty much call them, BUT! not the nickles.
Nickles down to 3" is well pretty much nickles, but beyond that and the numbers starts going up.
4" is starting to climb to the upper side of the nickle range.
5" is way above nickles and more in the junk range, I might add that @ this depth they also start to get jumpy numbers.
6" the numbers start to be more in the penny range but really jumpy (wide spread)

Now I've done this test with a pretty wide range of detectors,
Whites 5900 Di/Pro sl
Fisher Coinstrike (two different ones)
Whites XLT
Fisher ID Edge
Teknetics Omega 8000
Fisher F2
and this one was the first I discovered this with, a Fisher 1266x (no meter) I could discriminate the 3" nickle completely out and still hit the 4", Disc the 4" out and still hit the 5".

All the coins change VID numbers a little @ depth and all of them the numbers start to jump a bit, but nothing like the nickles.
So, a surface hunter (less than 3") can get the nickles pretty easy with the right machine, but the same method just doesn't work on nickles beyond the 3" range.
So, then you have the 4" to 5" range that the beep an diggers will also get the nickles, but @ 6" and beyond the nickles start to allude even them.
So, I call Nickles "Elusive" and "Evasive"

And then to add to that in other threads in other forums nickles have been declared as "Odd" in any one time if you pull out a pocket full of change nickles will most times if not always be the low numbered handed out coin, many people have wrote their short number of nickle finds to just that, less of them get lost as compared to pennies or even dimes or quarters, because less are handed out in change. So, now not only are nickles elusive, evasive, but also the shorter of the straws in handed out change.

Mark

Wow, please make sure you pay attention to any signals between 40 and 65. That is pretty much the limit for gold. If you really want to shock yourself stack a few pennies, nickels , dimes and quarters on top of each other sweep each stack and see what they VDI. Mix them up and see what you get. All of these combinations teach you a lot about the sounds your machine makes and what they mean. I dug 7 quarters stacked on top of each other today. First time ever for that. All of this means, always expect the unexpected.

Different ground will also make coins and gold VDI differently. A nickel may VDI 49 in some ground but so will a pull tab and a gold ring in the same ground. Nickels, pull tabs and gold will VDI between 49 and 56 depending on the soil.

That just gave me an idea ... Just for fun, the next time I hit our local school I am going to notch-out everything below 40 and above 60. Will post results .. :detecting:

Found many nickles with the AT Gold. Some days more nickels than dimes. Nickels give a very solid hit, almost jump out at you.

McDave said:
That just gave me an idea ... Just for fun, the next time I hit our local school I am going to notch-out everything below 40 and above 60. Will post results .. :detecting:

I did that, just for fun. The readings jump around quite a bit, like the detector is confused. I got a bunch of pull tabs, some foil, a lead bullet, one nickle, and a small unmarked kids ring. The fairgrounds are trashy, but I live close, and the restrooms are open....

Diggin-it said:
If you are not digging the 50's you are potentially missing out on alot more then nickels.

I made this video awhile ago...it would be worth watching, it should help you...

VDI Numbers video

Wow, a most excellent demo, thank you. Do you hunt with the sensitivity that low, or was that just for the demo?

Out of my current accumulation of clads and keepers, I would venture that I've found 50 plus nickels that resoundingly hit 52-53 but I have found a few that bounce from 49-53.

When I hunt a place I will cherry pick it first and try to get that nasty silver out of the ground. After that I want t dig every pull tab and nickle sound I hear. After that I will dig all repeatable signals that are left. I leave the snap crackle and pops for everyone else:devil: