Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Night hunting with Racer light

jdeiana

Has anyone tried this? I have done some night hunting in the past with headlamp and it wasn't really practical. How does it work in a hunting situation? Can you effectively hunt at night with it?

I have the rain cover on. On the last hunt I hunted till dark and used the light but it seemed the cover took away from the beam some. Still could see and used the light on the makro pointer in the hole. Problem is the dew falls and it gets messy at the hole shortly after dark on some evenings.

Thanks for mentioning the rain cover. I am going to try it tonight and I am going to try it with that off for better results.

desert ghost towns, homesteads, and even in some urban settings where you can hunt after dark.

I usually use a headlamp. I also have a 250 lumen flashlight in the pocket of my vest for times when I need more light. I have found the flashlight on the FORS CoRe and Racer models to work well for what they are. I keep the environmental covers on my Racers all the time and I do note that they diffuse the light a little bit but are still functional. They do okay casting some light where the coil is being worked and make a very good complement to using thee headlamp which is usually brighter and covers more area.

Monte

Thanks for that info - yes I am hunting my yard which is a very old New England house that I recently moved into Sometimes the daylight just runs out and it is also nice to hunt in peace without the nosy neighbors coming out to try and figure out what I am doing! - I plan on trying it tonight. Night time can be a very peaceful and relaxing time to hunt. I am just hoping it works as well or better than my headlamp.

I gave the racer light a brief test run tonight - didn't have much time - but I went out to my front yard which I have not hit yet. Took the rain cover off. The light works very well. I only snagged a 68 penny in my 15 minute test hunt - not a good find - but enough to give me a test run. Makes a nice roughly 24 inch diameter light onto the ground. Much better than the headlamp option I used with my etrac because obviously the light follows the coil and is not flashing all over the place as you look around. No problem pinpointing and the light on the Makro Pinpointer took over in the hole. Recovered the target no problem. Very quiet out there in the neighborhood at night - Just takes a few minutes to get used to. Pleasantly surprised. Will be doing more night hunting.