Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Night hunting

atomicwayne

How many people here hunt in the water at night?any tips or tricks that you might want to share?I have not tried it yet but I am itching to go with the time change my time is limited during the day.

Wear a shark suit?

Seriously I love night hunting at the beach but wont go more than ankle deep. Things come close to shore to feed at night and mistakes happen.

Just so happens today I saw the biggest friggin shark ever. I was on a stand up paddle board, not out detecting, but it was a real wake up call. It was a beast straight out of Jaws. You try to not think about it, but they are there. Food for thought? or just food for sharks? Insane.........

Only go if you really "KNOW" the terrain, other dangers (predators etc.), and you are with someone else. And keep an eye on each other. I use both LED lights on my ball-cap and a waterproof LED flashlight hung around my neck. I also do not venture
out as deep as I would during the daylight hours.

One of my best finds, a 1911 US Naval Academy class ring, was pulled up about 11:30PM. The same night two of us dug for about 20 minutes to retrieve an old solid brass whistle. Great memories of some compulsive detectorists. Had I not gone out one night I would never have seen the little jellyfish that phosphoresce when nudged by a moving detector shaft. Also the seas tend to be calmer after the sun goes down. What beautiful sight it is with a full moon, detecting at night open a whole new view on your surroundings.

BE CAREFUL AND STAY SAFE.

Thanks for the reply's. A hunting partner at night isn't a bad idea.I like the light idea around the neck too.Big sharks I know what you mean .I too started paddle boarding and you can really see a lot more in the water including sharks.I think I am more scared on a paddle board than walking in the water.I just need to work out the parking situation now.pay parking gets expensive and hotel parking frown on it.Thanks for the "food for thought " info.

Water walker I too found a naval academy ring a long time ago and was able to trace it back to a retired rear admiral.it was lost for 48 years. Had the year 1934 on it with his initials and I used the alumni locator and the yearbook the call it the lucky bag.the ring was a miniature of a academy ring given to his wife as a engagement ring.it made quite a story .

Remember that lights attract fish and that attracts things that eat fish.

atomicwayne said:
How many people here hunt in the water at night?any tips or tricks that you might want to share?I have not tried it yet but I am itching to go with the time change my time is limited during the day.
If you live in Florida ,STAY out of the water ,fresh or salt. This is feeding time for Sharks and Gators. If you hunting GA. Miss. Al., or La. STAY out of the water at night. All these State have Gators that feed at night. I have been hunting the water for 38 years now and it's better to stay safe than trying to feet the Gators and Sharks. Have fun don't get Eaten !! Ron Lord of Florida .

Everybody ought to try it at least once...its very peaceful and productive, but better than that, since you cant see anything, it forces you to not rely on your eyes, so your ears get sharper...like 10X sharper...travel light, very simple gear...just your rig and a scoop. I hunt completely dark, no headlight or anything that would betray my position.....If I think I may run into a Human who has no business being out there, I carry a small LED flashlight right in my shirt pocket with my smokes that I can deploy into their eyes if need be...Your other senses adjust so quickly to the dark with no light, they really ramp up when you are deprived of sight!, you can hunt heads up, to watch for approaching Hominid sillouettes...scoop targets and feel them and also your feet mysteriously find their way..its really pretty cool experience how exciting and sharp you get with no sight....

If you cant take any heat or Sun or packed beaches, night hunting is the only reasonable option, its so peaceful and relaxing, you may find out you prefer it over day time...some guys do and wont hunt in the daytime at all...

Like Ron said though, if you are in big creepycrawly areas, humans or otherwise, pay attention..(if your hair stands up on the back of your neck, it did it for a reason)...If you are in blackout mode, a Human cannot see you, so its not likely one of them, but those big creepycrawlies can...I used to hunt fish at night with the bow, for 40yrs I reckon, as well as trap and be outside a lot at night, and have noticed that right after dusk and until 1am they are feeding heavily in the shallows...then, they seem to go dormant in the 'dead hours'...so 3am until just a little after sunup you have the World to yourself...all the big bad are usually asleep in the dead hours, that includes Humans....around here, i would not go at dusk or in the early night hours...only in the dead hours, and shortly gone after sunup..:thumbup:
Mud

I can understand how quit it can be.... it would improve your concentration, but i highly doubt those targets would be gone at first light. I know several guys thou that hunt at night ..... but mostly chasing the low tide otherwise they wouldnt be out there. You guys hunting at night must not be married...:rofl: Im competitive, but put in to many hours now. I know some who hunt at night also just because they are paranoid others are watching them to find their hunting spots...... not posting your finds helps there.

Dew

I'm just sayn'. . .

As soon as you step in the ocean your place on the food chain drops precipitously.

Northern freshwater lakes may be cold, but no chance of being eaten!

I would think that lighting up the water would attract more fish.
I stepped on a couple of Ray's in the Florida gulf last spring during a daytime hunt and one Ray took to the air skipping across the water and air for 300 ft. Flying rays can be seen on youtube and are quite a sight.
I love to night hunt but have never done the night water hunt.

Minas man

If everyone knew just how many and what size sharks cruise up and down the shoreline they would never go in the water. Had a Gentleman yelling at me that there was a SHARK in the water as I was detecting about waist deep. I asked "How Big". He held his hands up about 18 inches apart. I kept detecting. He got away from the water in a hurry. Had it been a big one I might have moved a little shallower. They are there but they rarely try to feed on humans unless the human makes them think they are a wounded fish by doing a lot of splashing.

Yeah, its a fine line playing the odds on this Planet....If a guy stays home out of fear of sharks, bears, Hillybillys, Bigfoots, Nessie, Diamondbackedcopperheadedwatermoccisins, or for any other reason...theres better odds of getting killed in a home invasion by your own drug addled progeny or dying on the crapper from a massive heart attack...if a guy drives to the beach during daytime, theres pretty high odds you'll get killed by some kid texting and driving on their way to school..:shrug:...

In the scheme of things that can kill a Man, very SMALL odds of getting killed by a shark or alligator metal detecting at night!...Very great odds of having a great night in peace and quiet and finding gold!...and still having enough energy to go to work the next day...
People are afraid of the dark, on account of our eyes...If you get comfortable operating in it with your ears, the World is your oyster and you get twice the living in your allotted time on this Planet. The Wife dont care or will not even know you are gone during the 'dead hours'... for all she knows, you are in the can or watching the early news before you head off to work!....

One things for sure, none of us are going to make it out of here alive, coils are small, the World is Big, Gold waits for nobody, and a guy has to find the time to hunt!...besides, it would sure make for a good story at your funeral!...a danged bull shark got him! For those of you that would like to go out with a real theatrical flair, dump a lb of shrimp into your wetsuit! Thats the ticket!

As opposed to: "the danged guy blew up from a heart attack on the crapper, made one hell of a mess!" or worse than that, "the danged guy died at his desk filling out those TPS reports for Lumberg" (shudder) Both are more scarey and possible than a 8' bullshark or even a 8' Hillbilly.....thats why we carry these big sharp scoops...for bullsharks and Hillbillys with an occasional Bigfoot thrown in right? You cant golf at night, so you may as well detect in the deep dark salty water...easy parking, no green fees, and theres a ball washer with every step! :rofl:
Mud

I have been doing night hunting at the beach for many years fresh and salt. TIP I sprayed painted all my coils bright yellow as it makes them much better to see in the water at night and NO IT WILL NO EFECT THE PERFOMANCE AT ALL

Mud

Most of us "Hillbillies" are quite docile. That is till you get us riled up a little bit. Shoot I haven't killed anyone YET. Might have messed up a couple of guys over the years but as they say down South. They Deserved A Killin.