Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NiMH Battery Question

ron_c

I read on line today about testing of NiMH batteries. The article was about 5 years old or so. Can't find the article again, but according to the tester when used with a couple of different brands of detectors, that a clad dime was detected about 1" deeper and slightly deeper with a silver dime compared to alkaline batteries. This doesn't sound right. Anyone heard of this test or know anything about this?

Finally found the link for the NiMH battery test.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/techfacts2.htm

I'm a bit dubious about the claim as most detectors have a voltage regulator than maintains a constant voltage until the batteries fall below a designed in limit. However, it would be easy enough to do one's own test by substituting a batch of NIMH batteries for the Alkaline s My two bits.
BB.

Plus BarberBill is right - modern detectors have regulated power supplies and so the batteries don't matter as long as they are above the floor that the voltage regulator can handle.

Plus NiCads are obsolete - can you even buy them any longer? anyway NiMH are superior to NiCads in lots of ways so they are the recharables of choice right now.

Unless the detector is designed for their use, you may experience a drop in performance. NiMH is lower voltage than an alkaline in the same battery size package, ie. 9v Alkaline - 8.4v NiMH.