Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No detecting here!

butch

I envy you guys/gals that are in the warmer climates right now,here the ground is frozen solid and it is minus 11 below,with a wind chill factor of minus 20 below.Looks like it will be awhile before I get digging again.Newfoundland,Canada

Same boat here. (Northern Illinois) Its not fun sitting on the bench while others get to go out and play. So it's a good time to do some research, nice thing about that is I think I've uncovered some really good sites for the spring :)

Yup.. I use google earth a lot, then do a lot of research on different parks primarily history, and age, and sometimes old pictures/layouts. I also use the streetview feature if available as I like to check out the neighborhoods, look at the houses etc, just to get a general idea about the area. I also have a list of search strings I use on google that has been very helpful in finding new types of sites that I never really thought about before. When I travel to different cities, I like to be aware of the location as I'm not really interested in getting mugged. I've been keeping all of my data on a thumb drive, so I'm cataloging sites of interest, I normally screen shot the map of the area, then put together a simple document that covers history, or unique features that warrant investigation when I get there. You can also look at the terrain features on google earth which in some area's is useful. Especially for former picnic hillsides, that are now covered with tree's.. that's been really good for me in the past. Oh yeah it saves a bundle on gas, as i can virtually fly to the location without leaving the comfort of my living room.

You could take up some new activities. How about this?

Nugget pulling down on some NH ice
JS071.jpg

Lots and lots of ice...
Texaco006.jpg

Or there's always snowboarding/skiing...

Nugget in Maine, learning how to snowboard (oh...so....painful...)
JS067.jpg

Not your cup of tea? There's always winter camping and hiking...

Mt. Washington (NH) campsite (I was wrapped around two Nalgene bottles filled with boiling water and I was still cold!)
MtWashington006.jpg

Trail to Huntington's Ravine (you can just make it out through the clouds)
HuntingtonsRavine2.jpg

Okay, I will come clean...I do not live in Maine anymore - I moved a year and a half ago to California as I just do not do winter anymore. This was taken 2 days ago...

Nugget aid climbing in Joshua Tree - Yosemite next?
SonyaAidJTree.jpg

I have lived in Alaska, Montana, and Maine - I feel your pain. We are getting some payback here in Cali, though, as we are expecting strong storms all week with tons of rain and snow in the higher elevations.

Hmmm. Strong storms = beach erosion. Time to grab the storm gear and hit the beach!

Nugget

Hmmm climbing ice-tickles. Eh..I'd rather have my water flowing and warm. (although I do find a moment of insanity and go ice fishing when I can)

Than I am a dork. A big dork. Thank God I metal detect - it's the only thing I have going for me in the "coolness" department! :yo:

Nugget

I have a hard enough time getting out of bed in the morning....I don't I will be doing any rock climbing!

Dude, were all dorks and geeks, but you know what if everybody thought it was cool everybody would be doin it, then how much would we find? For me right now in my life the way things are going, it makes for great therapy.
Keep diggin!
Aaron

Metal detecting is cool! I have been stopped many times by people wanting to know where I got my metal detector from, how much it cost, and boy, they sure would like to have one, wearing a wistful look on their face. Kids know it's cool - I'm like the pied piper of metal detecting. Instead of playing games on their cell phones, they're following me around, just as happy as I am on each dig, excitedly waiting to see what we unearth. Adults would be following me around as well, but they know that would be weird, so they watch out of the corner of their eye.

Oh yeah, it's cool and nobody can tell me any different. I love metal detecting...I love my special belt with digging tool, probe, and pouch on it, I love my knee pads, I love my headphones, I love swinging my detector, and I love digging up my finds, even if it's a pulltab, bottlecap, or can slaw.

Still waiting to get through the CA storms so Tater and I can head to the beach. We are expecting two new detectors this week - a Surf PI and a TDI and we'd like to try them out (should be VERY interesting as we don't know how to use them - any helpful tips from other users are more than welcome). We'll keep you all posted...

Nugget

Nugget,

I couldn't agree more. I have kids come up to me all the time, asking questions. So I always hand them the shovel and tell them if they dig it they get to keep it, and I let them listen to the detector. I had one little guy that walked away with about $2 in change, and it made me feel good that I probably planted a seed in some future adult that Metal Detecting is fun!

I always have adults approach me, and ask questions and I try to take a little time to show them the machine, how it works, and a little of what it finds. I also show them the pulltabs, and bottle caps that come up as well. No sense in setting a false expectation that it's going to make you rich :) Most of this hobby is about knowledge, in history, in human behaviour, and of course a little investment in the tools to do this. I've never had buyers remorse with the detectors I've purchased, like I've had with the various cars I've driven off a lot with. And it is a little like Christmas morning, when you get to unwrap a much anticipated gift I enjoy the surprise in what I find, and the questions that it brings as well, like How did that get there? I found a mercury dime one time under a large rock in a heavily forested area at the bottom of a small valley,
and I still wonder how that ended up there.

Years ago, I was one of those kids.

My family made me go to a reunion every year but I hated all the hugs and kisses from the old folks. Our reunion was held at a fairground, so I used to run off on my own and explore all day, every year. I know, most parents would never let their kid do that these days, I was in grade school and the fairground was huge.

Nonetheless, one day I found an old guy with a coin pouch, it was white one with three pockets and a string to tie it on. He had a metal detector and was detecting under the bleachers. I must have driven him nuts, but I stayed with him all day long, picking change out of the gravel and giving it to him. Funny thing is, I don't remember finding a single piece of trash, though I'm sure we did!

After begging my parents for months (I was very young) I got an orange metal detector for christmas. We went to florida and I started detecting, I remember my first find was the lid to a tennis ball can buried three inches deep in a walking path. I don't remember finding anything good with it, and I probably lost interest quickly, but never stopped wanting to learn how to really detect.

About a year ago I made the best decision ever and bought a Whites MXT which I shared with Nugget, switching hunt/dig jobs with every find. This resulted in a great deal of "back seat driving" which both of us found unpleasent, so I bought myself a V3. Well, I loaned it to Nugget one day at the beach and when I went to get it back, she took off running with it! Therefore we now have two V3s with an MXT backup detector.

So maybe you don't always want the kids bugging you, but making an exception to that rule every now and again could change somebody's life for the better years down the road!

The village idiot,

Taterhead