Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No gold nuggets

MikeLab

Went out nugget hunting today and no one found any gold. Some people with high bankers found a few specks, That was it. Guess it wasn''t that good a place. There were holes everywhere I went so someone had been there before me and didn't bother to fill their holes. There were a million hot rocks but they didn't bother me most of the day. Found lots of lead and small bits of iron and some square nails along with some trash. I got a bit desperate after not finding anything and started digging more targets that were obvious iron--just in case. But the iron audio was right every time, even on the little stuff. Wished I could have spent more time there and checked out other places, but had too much other stuff going on. The AT Gold performed great but right at the end of the day I hit a place that had been excavated and there was tons of all kinds of hot rocks. I was tired and I just got overwhelmed. It was like a trashy city park. Of course I was disappointed I didn;'t get any gold, but had a great time with some very nice people and enjoyed the drive, too.

Yep, the gold has to be there for us to find it! I took the AT Gold up to the Pinos Altos area (where gold was first discovered around here) and did a torturous, boulder-strewn drive in to a new site (had to break in the new tires!), then had to hike (well, more like scramble along a very steep but loose sandy dirt slope) to get to a small claim-free section of the creek. Beautiful, but strewn with giant boulders, and 95 degrees - I didn't last too long. Found a few modern coins and junk, and brought home a few rocks to check (i.e.: crack in half). The story goes that two early prospectors were sitting on the bank of the creek, not too far from where I was, and getting ready to throw in the towel. As they were eating lunch, one of them picked up a rock and noticed that it was pretty heavy. Cracked it open, and the rest is history. I got some practice in with the ATG and did my best to enjoy the beauty of the place. Can't fault the ATG, she performed perfectly. The place is just amazingly loaded with hot rocks & cold rocks, I remembered to use discrim 1 to check those, and the iron audio is right on the money, just need perseverance and I expect to find some of that shiny stuff, probably when I least expect it. Here's a Hummingbird nest and a section of the 'creek'.

The area I went to was a known gold producer and had been dredged. So basically the whole area was tailings. The guy who got permission was told that area had not been worked since the gold rush so we were quit excited. But I think they meant it had not been dredged again. Obviously it was being worked with detectors. So it is going to take some good prospecting to find any areas and I didn't have enough time. And if that wasn't enough, something happened to my back and I was hurting before I ever started to detect. So that slowed me down to about half speed and half enthusiasm. LOL The fact the others did not fid any gold in the creek leads me to believe it is not producing any more gold. Typically spring run-off will bring some gold down. At least where we were working that was not the case. There has to be some gold there somwhere. .

Hunting for gold isn't always successful. However, lots of lead and small bits of iron shows you had your machine set up properly, and had that coil gone over some gold.....BINGO! At least you got out and and had to opportunity to get out... exercise, fresh air, experience etc.....

In hindsight I know I was not always searching in the best places when I was finding pieces of rusty can--just too light weight to be with the nuggets. But I did find several tiny pieces of lead. I also found several bullets and one old bullet. Don't know much about them but it had two rings on it and was all white like those CW finds. It was loud! So I'll take what I leanred with me on the next hunt.