Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No GPX 5500?

Well, I am starting to think that after many years of tweaking and refining we have seen the end of the SD/GP/GPX platform. The GPX 5000 is a superb metal detector, with little to improve except the discrimination. And that is far harder to do than people think. This particular platform and technology may have been pushed to its limit.

Not to say we will not see different packaging etc. I am talking from a performance perspective. The truth is Minelab got so far ahead of the pack with the GPX that nobody else has yet fielded a detector that even roughly compares. Minelab can afford to sit pat for now while other companies struggle to make detectors as good as their discontinued models. The best selling GPX right now probably is the GPX 4500 which sells in droves overseas.

All I know for sure is that Minelab held for some time to a new SD/GP model about every two years, and we are now at three years since the GPX 5000 came out, and no hint at a new model.

Added 11/1/2013--

During the recent Codan AGM, it was announced that Minelab are working on some new detectors. Yes, of course this is true!, but some have erroneously assumed that this meant that a new high-end gold machine will be released within the next 12 months.The fact of the matter is that Minelab are looking into new technologies in gold detection, but a new top end product release is certainly significantly further than 12 months away.

In the mean time, the GPX5000 remains our flagship gold detector, and will be so for the foreseeable future.

The GPX 5000 continues to be king of the goldfields, with many new and significant gold nugget finds in recent times. Check the Minelab Success Stories page and Minelab Times newsletter for the latest lucky strikes.

Sincerly,

Jeff Nicotra
Australian & New Zealand BDM

Interesting post Steve. I'm not sure if that counts as ;) Good or Bad news!

Well, both I think. It is good news for me in that in the GPX 5000 I have a detector which amazes me every time I use it. It does what I need it to do, and in a way that works for me. I hated the Minelab "warble" on earlier units and that is completely gone in the GPX. There is almost no ground I can't get it to run well in.

The bad news is that leaves little in the way of new stuff to wish for or speculate on for the forum. Things are quieter these days on all the prospecting forums.

Hi Steve. It makes me laugh at all the so called "in the know guys" over the last 12 mths who supposedly knew a guy from Minelab who told them one was coming out in a month or two time. A year later and Minelab give out that statement. :laugh: I knew guys who believed that drivel of one on the way and sold their machines :lol: Even a guy from a gold shop in Central Vic said he had the nod one was about to be released, this he told me nearly 15 mths ago :rofl: Classic. But boy this will be the longest stretch between gold detectors for Minelab that I know of!
Would love a newie about now. Its still around but you have to hunt harder and there is more dirt in between finds these days. :sad:

I hear they are going to come out with the consumer PI based on their militarty countermine detector (F3). Mmm, wonder where they got this idea from? I Hear it will be priced around $3500...

Bearkat