Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

no screens?

mncricket

Has anyone abandoned digital machines all together in favor of the tesoros? Was selling my mxt and one guy asked if I wouldnsellnmy at pro instead....that leaves me with an old whites prism as my only machine with a screen....I thought it would be good to have an at pro so I had a screen in the water...but I have a fisher 1280x and that works.essentially like a tesoro.....

I don't own a detector with a digital screen. In my opinion the last thing you need in the water is a digital screen. In the water you are in a scoop all good sounding signals mode. If you are using a screen to make scooping decision in the water you are leaving the gold behind, and I would thank you for that. The screen can't tell the difference between trash and a gold ring. I hunted several beaches that were pounded by some AT Pro's. One day there were three guys there with AT's. I came back a week later and the first thing I noticed is that they left all nickels behind. This means they also left the gold behind, and they did because I found it. In the water turn the disc up just enough to knock out small iron nails and scoop every good sounding signal. My guess is the nickels are in the trash range on their screens.

The 1280X is an outstanding water detector. Keep the disc low and scoop all good signals that give clean hits from two directions. Scoop some iffy ones also just to be sure. Use as little disc as possible. You are gonna scoop trash, but you are also gonna get the good stuff. If the price of bottle caps ever hits that $10 a pound mark, I will be filthy rich!

I don't have a detector with a digital screen either. I have had many in the past but now just have the Tejon, 1236x2 and surfmaster II vlf.

I just like the analog detectors.

Can't say I haven't been watching the Racer and Minelab Go Find. I don't think I'll get anything else except coils for my Tejon.

Rick

My only issue with no screen is Iike to know depth....do you eventually learn that with tones? I have a silver sabre umax, a fikden umax, a compadre, and my daughters silver umax....was thinking a tejon to round it out...

mncricket said:
My only issue with no screen is Iike to know depth....do you eventually learn that with tones? I have a silver sabre umax, a fikden umax, a compadre, and my daughters silver umax....was thinking a tejon to round it out...

I have metal detectors with depth gauges, they lie to you. Best way to estimate depth is to slowly raise the coil while sweeping over the center of the target and see how far you can raise the coil before the signal drops out. If the signal drops out quickly then you know the target is fairly deep, if you can raise the coil a foot above the target it is a large target. Play around with that technique and you will soon learn more about your detector and target depth.

What Hombre said and you can also judge the depth by the volume and size of the audio tone. I can better judge depth without a screen.

tabman

Hombre said:
I have metal detectors with depth gauges, they lie to you. Best way to estimate depth is to slowly raise the coil while sweeping over the center of the target and see how far you can raise the coil before the signal drops out.

Hmmmm... my depth guage (etrac) is quite accurate on coin size targets except on really shallow stuff under about 3". Use hombres technique for you tesoro

I used to have only detectors with screens when I first started detecting. Then I found the compadre. My 1st detector with no screen. The detectors with screens ended up sitting in the closet most of the time. When they did go out on hunts they sat in the car. I found I enjoyed the mystery of digging all targets with my disc set to the r in iron. I found more rings in the first year and a 1/2 with my compadre than in my 1st 2 1/2 years of detecting with my detectors with screens. I always found myself looking at a screen and listening to tones. Within my first year and a half with my compadre I found a women's wedding band with it set at the r in iron. My best gold find to date. I sold my 2 detectors with screens and now I own 2 more machines without screens and no detectors with screens. If I had the money I would buy every Tesoro on my wish list, which is really long. I just like the no screen simplicity of my Tesoros. Now that I have learned their language I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. HH

Both my rigs have screens...do I use them? Sort of...like Tab said, your ears are much faster and better telling size, depth, shape etc....You will know immediately on the first few pings without looking at the screen,.."Thats a Quarter at 6"...

A screen is good to learn with, associate certain targets to TIDs and have a 'reference point' when talking about it here...(what TID did that come in at?, probably being primary question) so it does add a bit of value in that regard for people learning what targets may be good ones or not...

Its very handy to check battery life too...:thumbup:

I dont look at the screen when hunting, dont have to anymore, just to check battery life...I think its easy to learn on a screened rig, then switch to a machine that doesnt have one...the quicker you ignore your eyes the better....

Its very mentally fatigueing for me to look at a screen in field on targets, seems your brain has to switch gears from your ears to your eyes and just wears out too fast...its faster and more relaxing to hunt by ear for me, plus, a guy is hunting heads up instead of hunched over watching a screen, on a sunny day the reflection will blind you too, and cause you to work a pattern that keeps it from happening and not necessarily the 'right' pattern for that piece of dirt..
Mud ...

Dirtdigger33 said:
I found I enjoyed the mystery of digging all targets with my disc set to the r in iron.

You got that right! :thumbup: I unmask and find some really good stuff doing that. The thrill and fun goes down for me if I run a high discrimination setting. Finding a pull tab is like reading deer signs except it's a human sign. Every time I find one, I know that I'm on the right track and one of those humans is going to lose a gold ring sooner or later.:)

tabman

Tab, That is indeed the joy I get out of this Sport too! Except for the guys who hunt meteorites and natural nuggets, the rest of us are hunting Humans!
Well, not actually 'Hunting Humans', but their habits, preferences, travel patterns...just like a good fisherman or deer hunter does...look for structure, natural pinch points, know where they go, what they do, when and why...

The 'trash' they leave behind point the way...to successfully 'track' a Human across the expanse of time to their possibly 'once in a lifetime' gold drop is a real rush...Out of all the people on this Planet, how many of them EVER lose a gold ring? maybe 1/10th of 1%?...So for us to track it down and find it? What are the odds?

This takes all our senses to be engaged on the hunt..to evaluate any and every find to narrow it down...it is remarkable to me how many rings we manage to find in this vast expanse of earth, and this Forum is a place where we can pick up tips and pattern some really awesome hunters. ..remarkably small odds of ANYBODY EVER finding a gold ring when you think about it.....

Nobody talks about this aspect much..it sounds too creepy I guess, but a guy can do real well by getting to know how people interact with the environment and tracking them down....:shrug:
Mud

It makes no odds if a detector has a screen or not does it really,one without a screen does not work any better or worst,i use a detector that works for me if its has a screen then that fine by me,i will admit i never totally depend on a screen to make the final digging decision that i always go by the audio that the machines gives me but its also nice to double check with a screen.

Audio is far more reliable below say the 8'' depth level,but me personally if i had a choice i would usually go with a screen,i certainly would not like to drive my car without see all the information that the dashboard provides me,although its possible to still drive it if you cover all the dials up.

Its a personal choice to have the added extra information or not,screens can be un-reliable i guess but for me even a basic amount of information is much better than nothing at all,i am trying to work out what use a screen is when using a detector under water ??? it has no use whats so ever in my mind,when being used in that enviroment it then becomes basically a audio machine,the AT Pro is water proof but the water proof screen surely is for when its raining or bad weather rather than looking at it under water.

I certainly wont be abandoning any machine that has a screen for a Tesoro,i use what works for me in my various hunting sites,some have screens and some dont,this is just my take on it.