Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No worth but waaay old and a special find!

REVIER

Sometimes I find things that aren't worth anything but if I can date them to a specific time in history they rate a special place in my growing collection.
We are digging history here after all, aren't we?

Yesterday my club hunted a site for the third time which is historical and dates back to before the civil war.
Not many coins found here by our club in the past, although I did find an 1864 2 center on my first visit here last year.
Second hunt I spun my wheels digging too much iron, and there is a ton of it here both large and small.
This time I decided to dig mostly non ferrous targets and found a couple of cool items.

Using disc at 1 and 1F tones with sense really high in the mid 80's and thresh at -2 I did ok and and I was picking out several non ferrous targets at will pretty easily but they were mostly just trash.
Eventually I switched to my crazy iron hunting blast through method and better things started to show up.

These are not your mother's setting on the F70, the only reason I can make sense of what I see and hear is because I have practiced this method for hours in the past at heavy iron infested sites but eventually I started to see patterns in all the jumping so for me it seems to work when I hunt sites with crazy amounts of iron both shallow and deep.
All metal, SL, 99 Sense, Thresh at 9...can't get this thing any hotter.

I then found a harmonica reed which I am sure is old, a Catholic Guardian Angel visor medallion which I can't date but due to the heavy layers of rust on the clip in the back and the 6" depth I figure it was in the ground for a very long time.
Thick, heavy brass and it is a keeper.
Could have been mounted on one of the first cars or trucks that had visors for all I know, but I never will.

Love the angel clip but the real best find of the day is a half dollar size badge that was mounted on a vintage sewing machine and this is a special find because I am sure it is between 130-140 years old and it is in great shape.

This company started as the Finkle & Lyon's Sewing-Machine co in 1864 and did well, changed their name to the Victor Sewing machine Co in 1872 and had a good run but in 1883 they closed up shop and were gone due to heavy competition.

If we truly are digging up history here this thing sure qualifies.
Love this hobby!

Incredible find congrats! and great history.

Nice! Those old antique cast iron sewing machine parts really make a statement about how fast the world moved on us...Nobody sews their own clothes now a days!...
Dang, REVIER, you run your rig HOT! I dont know how you do it, but it sure is working for you!..:thumbup:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Nice! Those old antique cast iron sewing machine parts really make a statement about how fast the world moved on us...Nobody sews their own clothes now a days!...
Dang, REVIER, you run your rig HOT! I dont know how you do it, but it sure is working for you!..:thumbup:
Mud

I have some vids out there showing me digging stuff wearing welding gloves.
Now you know why.:spin:

At sites where I can do this as long as there is nothing in the area that causes that constant thrumming, pulsing behavior I learned to watch and listen for the signals that weren't all iron and I can now usually pick them out.
In areas of really high EMI most of the time when my rig rolls over a good target it seems more stable than disc in all metal jacked up like this.

donldsutphin said:
The one in the first photo looks to be an old license topper.

Thanks, but I know what those are and this is not one of them.
Definitely a good luck visor clip for a car.

You do great history on your finds,

Some suggested this Victor thing might be an old needle threader but I did a bit more research and nailed it.
Found these pics on E Bay, now I know for sure so on to the next mystery to be solved.

Nice one !