Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Noise Cancel

Cos

I have used the Minelab Safari for a number of years now, and almost always in the sensitivity auto mode. It is very easy to use the noise cancel in this mode with the detector coil right on the ground (as recommended by Andy Sabisch in his book). Recently I have started to adjust the sensitivity mode in manual, selecting either 16 or 17. With those manual settings I seem to be getting more depth, and more silver dimes in hunted out sites. Using the 11" standard coil, I am now faced with another problem. No matter where I place the 11" coil on the ground to noise cancel with a manual setting of 16 or 17, my screen indicates I have iron under my coil. How does one find a spot to noise cancel when in the manual sensitivity mode? I realize I could turn the sensitivity down, and then back up after the noise cancel, but Andy's books says you must noise cancel whenever you change settings??? Has anyone noticed this problem? How can you find a spot anywhere in a park to do a noise cancel without iron being under your coil?? Supposedly, the noise cancel will not work if you have iron under your coil. Help, and thank you.

There are simply places that so much metal trash in the ground that you cannot NC with the coil on the ground. When I encounter that, I just NC in the air as ML recommends.

There is a debate on what is best.
A) you NC where you will be swinging the coil (on the ground essentially)- Andy's recommendation
B) where most of the EMI is, ie in the air - manual recommendation

Personally, I don't think it makes much difference in most cases so long as there isn't metal in the soil near the coil.
Theres a good thread on NC by sube in the CTX forum ongoing right now. I highly recommend reading thru it and forming your own opinion on the matter.

Sometimes, parks are really full of trash, aluminum cans, pull tabs and iron junk and while you think it's all full of metal junk, there are always spots where there is no junk. It's just a question of finding that spot where there isn't any. I usually crank up the sensitivity and sweep making sure there are no junk signals underneath and proceed to N.C. there. I must admit I have had to N.C. in the air but don't know if it reduces the detectors effectiveness and accuracy?

Thank you both for your responses and suggestions. However, I still cannot find a place in any park to noise cancel when the detector is set to manual. No matter where I set the coil on the ground in manual, I get iron readings on the screen usually a 9 or some other number. This seems somewhat strange to me, because if I had the sensitivity set to auto I can easily find a place on the ground with no iron indication on the screen. The only way I can noise cancel in manual is to raise the coil 6 inches or so off the ground. I hope by doing this my Safari will select the most appropriate (and deepest) frequencies. If not, I might as well be searching in auto. My hope is that by using manual (16 or above) I would be getting more depth in heavily hunted parks.

I think the Etrac manual says to noise cancel in the air, don't quote me on that.

I don't think it's critical unless the noise is coming from the ground, I think most of it comes through the air though. You could though keep your coil flat a parallel with the ground.

I seem to always noise cancel in the air if i noise cancel on the ground my Safari is a little erratic at times.I always run manual sensitivity right around 16-17 i hardly ever use auto because the depth is not so good.

6-12" off the ground works well. I think the owners manual says 12". I haven't read the manual in a while.

Trouble is in AUTO you dont know what it is setting itself at & if it automatically changes as you sweep. So
its possible its desensitizing & you wouldn know it. Do the high end FBS units tell you ???
I can always find a place to GB. At that I do get some chatter in auto but not bad. IIRC its alway at full depth &
reads a 37-38. I always GB on the ground.
On manual sens I can only go as high as 14. Chatter becomes unbearable above that. I am in N.H. BTW. I
would guess we are on average medium mineralization.
Maby Andy will pipe in or you could ask ML for advise.

Tom in NH
LFOD !

I usually detect with sensitivity set at 16-17 in AM unless there is EMI or a lot of trash in the ground. I always look for and find a comparatively clean spot before I GB. It's a big question as to what is in the ground under your coil when you randomly GB and I always put the coil on the ground when I do. I GB in the sensitivity that I have set my detector to and working with at that particular time. This at least works for me.

I don't "noise cancel" anymore. I just turn on and go.

Your hot shot detectorists are not doing this. It doesn't make a difference in their honest opinon.

Running in Auto... forget it. You will miss the deep iffy signals.

I run in manual at 18 and if too much static I"ll lower it to 16 but that doesn't happen often... but never hunt in Auto.

I keep up with a hotshot crew using Etrac and Explorer. They run high manual and never GB and their high silver count speaks for itself.

You'll get use to the change quickly.

Also... check out CutAPlug and others of his caliber... he runs high sens and never uses NC.