Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Noise/Pulse Devil

Cody

I was asked about the Pulse Devil and looked at some comments by Dave Emery that is the design engineer. My post about the different detectors IB, TR, BFO, and VLF was to establish a foundation for my assertion that the Explorer is a PI and use the Pulse Devil as an example. What Bruce Candy did with the Explorer is combine the PI art with what we call VLF. It is primarily a time domain design but also has frequency domain and uses an inductively balanced coil. So, we have a very interesting and powerful detector which is great but also is why it takes a little more to learn than others.

Dave Emery seems to be designing a PI detector that uses an inductively balanced coil instead of a single coil as we find on the more traditional analog PI detector. There are several other detectors that appear to fall into this category, the Explorer, Sovereign, DFX, and I understand the Pulse Devil will be released about May. I expect to see something similar to the Explorer as far as design but with a different look and features.

Moving on to something else there are a lot of question and responses on the forums about noise. What I like to do with the Explorer is use a clear screen and Accept all to check for EMI at a site. With a clear screen and set to accept everything if there is EMI giving a problem we can actually located the source as the detector will act like a directional locater of the source. This leaves no question about EMI or if the problem is iron in the soil which seems to be a major question. I hold the detector up in the air and turn in a 360 degree circle and if you give this a try will see that the noise induced is greatest when pointed at a transformer as an example.

I was trying to think of a way to eliminate the doubt in a new users mind as to noise from stray EMI and from iron in the soil. So, you might give this a try the next time noise is a problem. Also, if you will take the Explorer outside of your home and go to the area beside your house where the TV is on you will find that can be a real source of noise for the Explorer. When detecting a yard and there are several homes close to the where you are detecting the TV can really tear things us with noise.