Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Noisy M6

Gopher

The M6 seems to be a pretty noisy machine. I was hunting with a friend at the lake who has a Garret 2500 and he was kidding me about how I could have any fun with all that noise. His detector runs so quite between targets. My machine beeps and chirps and chatters a lot in between solid targets. Settings and disc. are where they recommend. Is this characteristic of this machine?
Thanks, Gopher

Just because there are presets doesn't mean you can't reduce the sensitivity to cut down on the chatter. Back the sens down until it runs smooth. Also you might try to run the gb in the lock mode.

Recommended settings are just that. They don't work everywhere.Try lowering the sensitivity and set the Ground switch to automatic.
The 9.5 inch coil may be way to large for the ground and trash where you are hunting. Try the 4x6 DD. All that chirping could be many targets that the GTI 2500 may not even see due to it's slower response and target masking. Get the 4x6 DD coil and the GTI guys is going to sell his detector after the next hunt with you :surrender:.
It's not just the detector...right coil for the right place is the key.:detecting:

A bad coil or a bad coil connection can cause fits in any detector if they are defective and over the years in the hobby have seen problems with Whites coils more than most..seems like they go out of tune and don't ground balance properly...sure worth a try if you can find another fellow with a applicable large coil to put on to test.

Gopher, I agree with them about your settings. When I bought the M6 I was told to run and sens just a little about preset to hear everything. Well I did and it drove me goofy on one sight. I have in fact had to turn the sens down to about 3/4 running the 9" coil on the M6.

Last week I turned the sens down to 1/2 just to see how far down good signals on coins were. I got 5 solid clad quarter hits at 5" on a watered football field. These quarters at that depth were so pitted and corroded I couldn't read the dates on 3 of them. The other two were in the mid 90s. So even with these soil conditions the M6 did great at even 1/2 sens and really reduced the chatter for me.

Try setting down your sensitivity like the others suggested and see it that helps. Oh the other hand, maybe your M6 is reading more and smaller targets then your friends machine. If that doesn't work, maybe your coil is bad or the connection is loose. Let us know what you find out.

I run mine above the 100% most of the time. I have the 8" excelerator coil on most of the time. Occasional chatter. I agree with the other post. It's good to use more than 1 coil. Good luck!

In my area ( highly mineralized) the standard coil is a waste of both space and time. I too had more noise but it was not severe. I went to the 6X10 DD Eliptical and the detector came to new life!! It works better in trash and runs almost silent. As well, I am regularly getting 8 to 10 inches on coins/rings on mineralized salt /black sand beaches.

I'm going to get a 6 x 10 DD coil and try that. The ground in this part of northern Calif. may have a lot of minerals in it. I tried turning the sens. down to about 70 and that seemed to help some. The 6 x 10 seems to be a better coil from what a lot of people on the forum say. If my stock coil has a defect I'll eliminate that problem together with ground minerals interference. Later on I'll try a 4 x 6.
I'll let everyone know how it goes since this appears to have been a problem for others.
This forum is a great idea. Without it, who would ya ask. There's so much experience that people share.
Thanks, Gopher