Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nokta Impact Pulls Coins Out Well With 5 INCH DD.

CoinRobber

I have recently hit a heavily worked out patch of trashy can slaw land with the impact in deep mode with 5 inch DD Coil.
I was finding the combination of deep mode and 5 inch coil REALLY does sniff out deeper higher conductive coins for some reason it works a treat.
Give it a try you won't fail.

Is the trash layer above the good coins? Or is the trash and coins together at all depths?
I’ve been messing around with the kruzer and I’m in the process of figuring out which modes and coils I like to sniff out deeper silver in a site that’s pretty trash with aluminum, nails, and clad. Silver starts around 5” where the aluminum and clad start to thin out.
the 7” concentric is the current player but I’m thinking trying the Mars lion 7”DD or the 5” Nokta Makro DD.
The stock 11x7 isn’t my favorite in aluminum so far, liking it better in iron. 7” concentric can work the iron too as I’ve been showing myself the past couple days. Hoping the 7” concentric does good in the aluminum.
I’ve used a 5” DD on my T2 a lot and it does well in boost mode, I can see how the impact in deep mode would be very similar. Good for you on finding a combo that cracks it!

I have recently hit a heavily worked out patch of trashy can slaw land with the impact in deep mode with 5 inch DD Coil.
I was finding the combination of deep mode and 5 inch coil REALLY does sniff out deeper higher conductive coins for some reason it works a treat.
Give it a try you won't fail.

Sounds interesting. What were your other settings?
Frequency, gain, disc, iSat, etc...

I have tried this coil combination and it works . High gain 88 to 94 and deep mode switched in. That extra bit of depth pulls out the smaller higher conductors.

I'm not 'CoinRobber' but I am also not new to this great sport so I'll share my knowledge and experiences, if you don't mind.:

First, the term 'trash' is an often undefined and very un-understood description to most non-Relic Hunting people. In an urban Coin Hunting environment, a site might be considered "Low Trash" or "Sparse Trash" and I think we all know what that might be. Or it could be an 'urban-type' trashy area, such as around a heavily-use "Picnic Bowery" where we often find a routine mix of modern foil or aluminum, Ring-Pull and Rectangular Pry-Type tabs, and the always pesky ferrous-based Pry-Off Bottle Caps also known as Crown Caps.

Second, we can sometimes use a description, but it can also be mis-read or not understood by many Forum Readers ... and that includes me. For example, 'CoinRobber' used this quoted statement: "I have recently hit a heavily worked out patch of trashy can slaw land ....", and to me, that still sounds like he's busy hunting some urban Coin Hunting sites. "Can Slaw" is a term that describes chopped-up or shredded-up aluminum can shards due to being whacked by a mower, and aluminum can shards are a higher-conductive, non-ferrous metal. A fellow read that and asked me about the post because he interpreted "Trash" and "Can Shards" as being 'Rusty Tin' which is a very troubling ferrous-based metal we encounter frequently in the old-use sites were we go Relic Hunting.

Is the trash layer above the good coins? Or is the trash and coins together at all depths?
I’ve been messing around with the kruzer and I’m in the process of figuring out which modes and coils I like to sniff out deeper silver in a site that’s pretty trash with aluminum, nails, and clad. Silver starts around 5” where the aluminum and clad start to thin out.
the 7” concentric is the current player but I’m thinking trying the Mars lion 7”DD or the 5” Nokta Makro DD.
A good question, but again it might just be site-specific. For example, I hit a good-size city park in Portland Oregon about 7 or 8 years ago early in the morning and came upon an area where I noticed some loose straw scattered about on the ground. The area kept me busy finding a lot of mixed US coins in about a 6 ft. diameter area, but very little recent trash. A park employee came by and asked how I was doing, and told me they had just cleaned up all the loose straw from a pile that was left from a Cinco de Mayo party the day before. That explained why the concentration of coins. He then told me of two other such piles that had been knocked down and the looser top straw removed and they were going to have to rake it up in a while. I followed his directions to the two sites!

The 2nd location had more loose surface straw in the tall grass, and it was a mix of Nickels and foil from candy wrappers that they had mixed in the pile of straw for kids to go after. The 3rd pile was a mix of Dimes and Quarters with more foil candy wrappers and foils from, or with, the "gold coins" of chocolate candy they had in that larger-size straw pile. In those two examples, all of the coins and trash foil discards were mixed in the same level on top of the ground near the base of the 4"-5" tall grass and in all of the grass strata and due to the grass a lot was on-edge or canted. And the trashy foil pieces covered quite a range of non-ferrous conductivity which kept me busy. I spent almost 2 full hours on my knee cleaning out those two mixed-litter sites.

At that time I was using a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric coil and modified IDX Pro w/4½" Concentric coil. Other places we might select to hunt can present different challenges. Older parks, for example, that produced a lot of older coins including silver coins in the earlier days of the hobby in the '70s and '80s, for example, had more of the shallower good targets found and recovered. That means we are after the 'left-overs' that were perhaps too deep, at an odd angle, or partially masked by trash and we might have a better detector and coil for the task today. But if those good-potential sites are around a picnic bowery or similar modern-use site, then we also have the discarded Pull-tabs, Pry-Tabs and Bottle Caps with other modern trash that has been left behind over the past 30 to 40 years or more which leaves us with a lot of unwanted shallower-level trash to deal with as well as the modern change , too.

While we can all 'get lucky' and chance upon a more open area from time-to-time that allows us to recover a deeper coins in some trashier situations, the fact remains that shallower-located targets are going to mask or interfere with the detection of deeper-located targets. The only way to successfully recover more of the deeper targets is to remove the shallower metal objects, good or bad, that are in the way. When you have remaining older silver coins at 5" and deeper, but aluminum and clad targets in the upper 4" range, it is going to be difficult to find only the 5" deep and deeper targets unless a site is relatively open with well-spaced targets .... or .... you remove the shallower problem trash.

The Nokta / Makro products are some of my favorites for hitting heavily littered sites, but I'm mainly dealing with very terrible conditions with very dense nails, wire iron, and all sorts of ferrous debris and rusty tin as well as non-ferrous junk. Most of the better finds are in the surface to 4" range and seldom deeper than that unless there's been ground disturbance from earlier periods of human activity such as dump digging, plowing, etc. It's being abale to handle the challenges of dense debris and that is best handled by using their small 'OOR' DD
(4.7X5.2) or 5" DD coils. They typically do much better than the elliptically-shaped 4X7½ DD and comparable after-market coils.

I use the 3-Tone mode in most mixed-trash conditions and 2-Tone when the bulk of my challenge is from Iron Nails or other wire-iron type junk. I keep the Sensitivity at '99' in 3-Tone and '95' in 2-Tone, or as high as possible w/o EMI. Disc. is set to just accept common iron nails. I use a slow-and-methodical sweep speed with ample overlapping. I only use the 'Deep' mode when a site is relatively free of extra trash so I can target advantage of the Deep mode's improved performance potential.

I’ve used a 5” DD on my T2 a lot and it does well in boost mode, I can see how the impact in deep mode would be very similar. Good for you on finding a combo that cracks it!
I've had several original T2's, a T2 SE, 4 T2 Classics and a T2+. I used the 5" DD coil almost exclusively with them, mainly in 2+, 3 and bP tone modes. It used to be one of my favorite detectors for trashier conditions, but I sold them all. None of them, and I mean none-of-them, could match the performance afield I got from a CoRe w/ 'OOR' DD or Relic w/5" DD in 2-Tone or 3-Tone, and definitely not the Relic in Boost mode to the T2's bP offering.

Monte

The stock 11x7 isn’t my favorite in aluminum so far, liking it better in iron. 7” concentric can work the iron too as I’ve been showing myself the past couple days. Hoping the 7” concentric does good in the aluminum.
Answer is it's all mixed in coins with can slaw mostly . Site IS pretty crap actually.
lack of good land sad to say.. i am digging the lot out for some thing to do. 3 buckets full of can slaw !
i dig anything that beeps.