Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

None authourized X-Terra Coils

jmario

How does one know what year model X-TERRA you have?

I purchased mine used from a man that said he only had it about a year since 2011 I think.

I ordered a none authorized coil for my 705. Wow I hope it works or I'll be P****d

Thats kinda petty of Minelab no its very petty and will most likely lose me as a customer.

I bought the dang thing and should have the right to choose my accessories. Theres enough Government telling me what I can and can't do, and I have had just about enough!!! Good grief already

You likely wouldn't think it petty if it was your money invested in developing V-flex technology, only to have someone steal it and make money.

If I had to find a beef with it, I would probably be upset that they spent the time to re-write the firmware, while we languish for more coils to choose from. I would think it a smarter move to beat the pirates by giving us what we want.
JMHO

So let me see if I understand this If I purchase any after market coil for my White's MXT or any other brand of detector thats OK ? But some how if I don't buy Minelabs specific coil its some how pirating from them. And cutting into there investment, what about my investment I purchased the X-Terra. I'm a little frustrated with being put in a box and forced to only buy what they decide I'm to buy.

Maybe if MineLab offered better choices in coils I wouldn't be looking else where but thats for me to decide. Its all part of the FREE market game the better products attract buyers. I already feel beat down by this Government and this feels like Government telling me what I'm allowed to buy and not buy. And I'm sorry brothers if you don't agree with my opinion but thats the point its my opinion. May you all be blessed no hard feelings

I think most of us would buy a minelab coil. The problem is that minelab left us Xterra buyers out in the cold as far as coil choices. I need a lightweight machine and that's one reason I bought the Xterra. I think it is a great machine but the only good deep coil is the 10.5" DD coil for my area but it makes the Xterra nose heavy and much harder to swing for extended use. I'm stuck using the 5x10 DD coil, good coil but only mediocre depth. Had to buy a F75 SE for areas requiring more depth.

jmario said:
So let me see if I understand this If I purchase any after market coil for my White's MXT or any other brand of detector thats OK ? But some how if I don't buy Minelabs specific coil its some how pirating from them.
Not at all the same. For starters, your MXT doesn't employ unique coil technology. And beyond that, Whites has undoubtedly granded license to various aftermarket manufacturers, a move who's logic will only be known to a select few I'm sure.
I'm hoping that Coiltek is able to convince them to further open the door. Otherwise they risk being another Super Beta (superior format, protected to extinction).

jmario said:
And cutting into there investment, what about my investment I purchased the X-Terra. I'm a little frustrated with being put in a box and forced to only buy what they decide I'm to buy.
No one put a gun to your head and made you buy it.

jmario said:
Maybe if MineLab offered better choices in coils I wouldn't be looking else where but thats for me to decide.
Agreed.

jmario said:
Its all part of the FREE market game the better products attract buyers.
Free market also means free to protect their intelectual property. Whether it's a good idea or not, it's still their choice.
I understand and agree that competition benifits consumers, with better products and prices. But just like the pharmacutical companies, it would be unfair to force them to cut loose the rights to produce a product at all, much less before they have a chance to re-coup the money they have invested in developement. I'm sure that they will get a royalty from aftermarket makers, but the per unit margin won't be near the same.

jmario said:
I already feel beat down by this Government and this feels like Government telling me what I'm allowed to buy and not buy. And I'm sorry brothers if you don't agree with my opinion but thats the point its my opinion. May you all be blessed no hard feelings
No government has anything to do with it.
No hard feelings at all.
HH

I respect your rebuttal, points well made,
But I am still not convinced, after all there are many E-TRAC and Sovereign users running SEF coils, are they taking intellectual property and profits from Minelab?. Just a thought .
And your correct Government has nothing to do with it.
It just feels like Big brothers making choices for me because I'm to inept to make my own.

One of the reasons I love this hobby is the freedom it offers the type of detectors,locations,and I thought accessories.

I've never been one to run with the heard and have always had trouble coloring within the lines.

The difference in the case of the E-trac, is that FBS technology is older, and there are more models of FBS machines than there are V-flex.
Have a little patience. Contact MineLab via e-mail as I've done several times to covey what we desire.

The squeaky wheel......

Try using your RCA TV remote on your Sony TV, put unleaded gas in your diesel, try cooking your dinner tonight without using the stove or microwave. These are all things we have to make a conscious decision on daily. If you are looking to buy a new vehicle you wont find ford parts fitting on to many Chevrolet's. Big brother has nothing to do with a foreign company as far as the accessories that can be purchased for their product. If it really gets you that bad sell it off and then buy American and be sure aftermarket coils are available. Not being crabby, just real. But sometimes the American product can not come close to the product offered by a foreign company. I am NOT saying that the American metal detectors are a bad product or inferior in no way shape or form. I just made the choice to buy minelabs as it was recommended by several people (after doing my job and researching it out) as being good and I had no prior experience with metal detectors. Shame to say, but we as Americans are no longer in the fore front of many things today. But we sure will go spend billions helping a foreign company out when they hate us. No hard feelings at all very good thread.

Theirs lines when I color? LOL

The question was how to tell a MFG date? and no one has answered that question yet.

DeTech's SEF coils for use on the FBS and BBS detectors, are Authorized by Minelab. Coiltek coils that are marketed for Minelab are Authorized by Minelab. SunRay coils and products used on Minelab detectors are Authorized by Minelab. These three manufacturers worked within the law to build a product based on specifications established by and authorized, by Minelab. The N E L coil issue has been an ongoing battle. As I've stated many times on this forum, I have refused to buy one for the simple fact that this company developed a product without the approval or authorization of the manufacturer of the detector I would use it with. Some folks like to dwell on the question.... "how have sales of this coil impacted the market share of accessory coils for Minelab". In my mind, there is a much larger issue.......... what damage could these unauthorized coils do to the X-TERRA? After all, the people who built them did not have access to the specifications developed by Minelab. And if one of these coils did cause a problem, who is responsible for repair costs? Do you think N E L is going to step up and admit their pirtated technology was responsible for a manfuction in your detector? Likely not, as they didn't even have the integrity to work with Minelab for it's development.
You can go on and on about big Government and how your freedoms have been infringed. And in many instances, I'd be right there with you. But in the case of some company building coil based on backward engineering, watching the OEM implement software that nullifies that product makes perfect sense! Wouldn't restricting unauthorized accesories from being used on their Patented VFLEX technology simple be an example of an OEM excercising their freedom? JMHO HH Randy

oldmancrash said:
The question was how to tell a MFG date? and no one has answered that question yet.

Contact Minelab, as they'll have that information. HH Randy

After considering all of your points each one well made, I concede. I have been persuaded by all the excellent replies, that being said, I would very much like for minelab to authorize more after market coils for the X-TERRA line. I'm not satisfied with the current choices of coils. I'm sure there are a few who would agree.

One last point I do not literately equivocate Minelab with big Government.Its was meant to be a sarcastic metaphor.
It just feels like big Government making choices for me. We may or may not agree on this particular topic in every aspect, I can except that.

I'm not a bitter angry person and I am open to all points of views. Unless it goes diametrically opposed to my religious views, which is certainly for another forum.

I would like to thank each one you for posting to this topic.

You're welcome. And believe me when I say I've been working on getting more accessory coils for nearly 5 years! I keep thinking it is getting close....... HH Randy