Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

not all broken coil ear coils are being replaced with the new update coil

bigdawg47

i had metaldetector.com sent me the same type of 11x7 coil that the ear was broken on it is not the update coil so this one will eventualy brake like the other one this is not a great service for the company

Hal the coils that had some ears break on them were from a change of composition that the supplier did. Makro/Nokta evidently did some back calculating for a lack of better words and found that out and got them on the right track composition wise. From being brittle to not being brittle. I really don't think you can tell from looking at them. Here's my proactive fix for that. I put a very thin rubber washer on each side of the shaft so when I tighten down on the screw it does not flex the ears at all. Very easy fix.

I think you have the right idea of the rubber washers as the ones that come with it seem to be a hard plastic and the coil flops around too much, so know I did and many others did too by tighten the bolt more so it wouldn't flop around. Mine was fine, but on the way to one of our hunts mine broke while laying in the car going to the hunt. Mine is getting replaced when they are in stock.

Rick

The newer updated coils have fins on the tabs (like Fisher coils have). I have a buddy who ordered an updated coil directly from Makro and that is what he got.......the one with the finned tabs (mine is of the old variety.....non-finned) The fins give strength to the tab, supposedly.

I also had mine "shimmed" with rubber washers to prevent bending the tabs when tightening the coil bolt but the tabs broke in many pieces anyways. New coil is on the way from Makro in Turkey.

Tom-----Let us know if your new coil has those "ribs" on the side of the tabs on the coil like Kevin mentioned when you get it will you? (like the FT 11" bi-axial coils has)-----I just purchased a new Racer Pro Pack & asked for the latest out/most recent produced Racer.----When I received it---it has the plain ear tabs on the coil--no ribbing on them.---Looks just like the ones that have been breaking.------I had ordered another Racer for my wife so we would each have one & asked for the latest produced one also.----Be interesting to see what the ears on the 11" coil looks like on that one when we receive it.
Tom Slick said:
I also had mine "shimmed" with rubber washers to prevent bending the tabs when tightening the coil bolt but the tabs broke in many pieces anyways. New coil is on the way from Makro in Turkey.

I'll let you know how my coil is designed. My buddy has a Racer and the serial number on his coil is only two numbers off mine so I imagine his will break also. I think I may reinforce the tabs on my new coil when I receive it.

My new coil just arrived from Makro in Turkey. The coil looks identical to the broken coil. Included in the box was another bolt, Makro Tee Shirt and a Black Makro hat. While I was waiting for the replacement coil, I used some black PVC plastic and some black PVC or ABS glue and rebuilt the broken tabs. They are now about .300 thick on each side. I'm not worried they'll ever break again. It did add about 1 oz to the overall weight of the coil.