Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not all things are equal

2wheeldevil

The meter readings on these two 14K rings are totally different.
Can someone explain to me why?
The FG ring comes in at a solid 50 meter reading in about all positions, side, edge, etc.
The other ring comes in at 79-80 laying on the side, 70 from the top and all kinds of numbers from the bottom.

Could the mark on the second ring be wrong?

Which one is fake..and how did you determine that ??Just curious like the other post stated size makes a difference too.

Did the tester offer to buy it...

Talking about the second ring, not the Frederick Goldman ring. Even though a magnet did not attract to the ring, both a jeweler and a gold buyer determined it was a fake.
Jeweler told me there are some pretty good fakes out there in the market now so you have to be careful.
The At Pro comes thru again and spots a fake.

The reading was the first clue it was probably a gold filled fake. Although, I have had a couple of 10k class rings that hit in the zinc penny range. Fun find none the less and the other is a dandy. HH jim tn

The 14k appears cast in on the second ring, instead of stamped. Could that be an indicator of being a fake?

FAKES are all over the place, Carrier, Rolex, FG, you name it! Found plenty of them. I'm no longer surprised at any thing I find.

My first impression of this ring in the field was that it was fake after looking at the underside but then I saw the 10K or 14K mark and decided I better take this thing home and clean it up. Good rings do not have that indent on the inside of the ring. Checking it out with a loupe confirmed my suspicions. This is my first ring find with a fake mark.

Wow.....now that had to be a bit of a bummer..:sadwalk:
Well at least it was a ring?
Wasnt there a muratic acid test you could do to gold?
To check ....at least a ball park indicator??
How did that go?.....the more it turned color, the less pure it was?
Something like that?
HH.......And I hope your next ring will be a genuine 14k winner ☺
HaloEffect426

Another thing to keep in mind is gold is commonly mixed with different base metals...so one 14k ring may. register somewhat differently even if the the rings are basically the same size weight and surface area etc.