Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

notch from 97-99 do for you?

It helps with eliminating the high iron falsing.

On one of my programs where I have 97-99 notched out, I still get signals that sound off on those numbers... Not sure if I did something wrong but it confused me

I notch 97-99 in all programs and 8-25 as well.

I never use notch out 97-99. Most of these guys are coin hunters. If you are,a relic hunter and enjoy finding and digging trash pits and huts, you need to hear as much iron as possible. If you just want to surface hunt for bullets and buttons, sure use notch.

stumpr said:
I never use notch out 97-99. Most of these guys are coin hunters. If you are,a relic hunter and enjoy finding and digging trash pits and huts, you need to hear as much iron as possible. If you just want to surface hunt for bullets and buttons, sure use notch.

Exactly right. If your hunting relics then these notch settings are not for you. These settings don't affect depth just quiet things down in TID# areas that you don't need to hear targets in.

8-25 in 12 or 18khz will effectively get rid of most iron targets but will still get foil and the smallest pieces of non-ferrous targets. Buttons and pistol bullets usually hit in the high 40s to low 70s in 12khz but this ID gets less reliable the deeper you go, just like anything else. Full tones will give you the associated tone often without the VDI reading for those fringe targets - these are the ones you want to go after!

Running Disc at 1 or 2.0 and notching 2-35 will get you a tad more sensitivity than running Disc at 6 or higher...

You will miss some deep targets no matter what the composition if you notch 97-99. Round iron and steel flat washers at depth sound good initially, but almost always have some sort of crackle to the audio. Coins and other non-ferrous round items most of the time sound cleaner without the crackle, but if there's any co-located iron with the non-ferrous target all bets are off. Better to dig the iffy signals with the Deus, no matter what program you are running. You won't be disappointed!

Man I miss my Deus :thumbdown:

CZconnoisseur said:
8-25 in 12 or 18khz will effectively get rid of most iron targets but will still get foil and the smallest pieces of non-ferrous targets. Buttons and pistol bullets usually hit in the high 40s to low 70s in 12khz but this ID gets less reliable the deeper you go, just like anything else. Full tones will give you the associated tone often without the VDI reading for those fringe targets - these are the ones you want to go after!

Running Disc at 1 or 2.0 and notching 2-35 will get you a tad more sensitivity than running Disc at 6 or higher...

You will miss some deep targets no matter what the composition if you notch 97-99. Round iron and steel flat washers at depth sound good initially, but almost always have some sort of crackle to the audio. Coins and other non-ferrous round items most of the time sound cleaner without the crackle, but if there's any co-located iron with the non-ferrous target all bets are off. Better to dig the iffy signals with the Deus, no matter what program you are running. You won't be disappointed!

Your settings are interesting but I disagree with your observations of the effects of the ones I've mentioned. I guess we have different ground conditions I'll call it.

CT Todd said:
CZconnoisseur said:

Your settings are interesting but I disagree with your observations of the effects of the ones I've mentioned. I guess we have different ground conditions I'll call it.

Agree to disagree CT Todd, but in my experience notching 97-99 will lead to missing coins as shallow as 5 inches in an iron environment. I recall hitting silver dimes at relatively shallow levels that indicated 97 quite frequently when mixed with nails/bits of iron--in my experience quite often coins will read higher if they're deep-ish--especially in the presence of iron. We all know the Deus isn't fantastic with VDI at depth, so why eliminate the upper end of the scale unless you're inundated with iron or trash? How often do we hit pennies at 6+ inches that read like a dime or even a quarter? In my experience, plenty. I always run full tones in either 12 or 4K. My practice is to keep the machine as wide open as possible (full tones, disc 0 or 1 and reactivity 2/silencer -1) unless you're in an environment that's simply too infested with trash and/or iron. In those environments, adjust accordingly. I'm in the midwest with far fewer opportunities for "old" coins relative to your region. As such, I'd keep my options optimized by not notching the upper end of the scale whenever possible. My 2 cents.

I found my silver of the year and first w deus yesterday. Nothing to brag a 46 Roosevelt. But I was using full tones ,0 disc and 12 khz ,3 reac. The first vdi I looked at was showing 97 but it settled to 94. Still little higher than what I thought.

Put your machine in 18 khz and air test a 3 quarter stack.
Put them in the ground and see if it changes.
Notch 97 at your own risk.
DYODD

Notching isn't an exact science with the Deus...I've found that if you have, for example, 60-70 notched out and you come across a signal that would read "67" it will still "crackle" sometimes. Seems like if you're within 4 points of the end of a notching area some targets will try to get through, and the effect is more pronounced the closer to the edge you get. A "69" or "70" reading will likely be detectable, but chopped. I've found some Indian cents this way when I first got started using the Deus. Was in an older area that was producing 1910s Wheats regularly and noticed some targets were crackly and close to the end of the notch window. Unnotched it and the audio quality screamed "COIN!" with stable VDIs although oftentimes lower than the Wheats.

Some Indian cents will indicate exactly like zinc cents, so notch wisely or maybe not at all and listen to the audio :detecting:

Thank you for your input. I am interested in hunting with full tones. I live in central Florida where soil mineralization is relatively low. I typically hunt for coins in trashy sites. Would you be able to outline the full tones settings that would fit the aforementioned criteria? Thank you.

Here's a link to the thread that shows how I started hunting "deep coin park" and subsequent adjustments made:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2236838,2236838#msg-2236838

Why would you ever be running in 18k....
that is best used for small gold and can miss coins and other good targets frequently
You're also doing a disservice to the Deus with no Disc...
I did that also till I went to a bootcamp...no more, and things have
improved significantly
Give it a try...

I can only seem to notch one series of numbers. Say 97-99. I can't seem to figure out how to notch the lower in the same program? 'Any suggestions? Thanks