Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

notch vs disc?

Mountain Mike

I am new to the Deus so I will have some basic questions in the following days. My first question is about notch vs disc.. I read in one of the postings that using disc. affects the tones in a negative way. Is that true? And if it is would it be better to just notch say 0 to 30? I am primarily a coin hunter at schools, parks, and houses so I have no interest in hearing the iron.

raising disc above 8 will impact depth. notching will not affect depth... it will still show you the TDI but you won't hear it. If you don't want to hear iron turn the iron volume to zero.. try setting disc at 8 or lower and that is what will be the sound of iron. above that is the rest of the tones so notch from 8 ( or whatever you have disc set at) to say 30 for example. you won't hear anything below 30... a large piece of iron might break through but you will know it as iron right away...

I think the difference between discrimination and notch is that discrimination uses a filter to block the received signal at the point where it is set. For example setting discrimination at 41 would filter out all the signal below 41. This can affect depth as well because of the filtering. Notch, on the other hand, simply does not let the notched range hit the audio circuit so you don't hear it. No lost in depth.

My understanding anyway.

How are you gonna know to increase Reactive when it's really trashy
Reactive is a big hit on depth and also clips the tone quality so I keep
it as low as possible for as long as possible... only going as high as
3 when I get that staccato of ten or more hits in a sweep...
my first tone is 100 same as Disc and set up to about 40 (at 8k)... I will hear
the (low grunt) iron and other crap and know when I need to increase Reactive
second tone is for the nickels and jewelry and high tone for the silver and clad
keep in mind this machine at 1 Reactive is faster than most...