Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NOTCHING on the Omega vs NONE on Gold Bug - 2 NOTCH or NOT??

doberman

What are those with each macgine thinking about the ability to notch on the Omega and NOT being able to on the Gold Bug??

The Omega was designed to be a coin machine where notch is sometimes needed. You don't want to be notching out much on a gold machine. You pretty much have to dig everything to get gold.

I understand how you can get in an area where one certain type of pulltab or something similar can be a problem and would like to notch it out sometimes. But you don't need that very often IMHO.

First, there is the detector's general purpose. The T2, Omega and Gamma are primarily designed to be a "general purpose" type detector, but the G2 (and Gold Bug Pro) is primarily designed to be a nugget hunting detector.

Second, the Notch Reject or Notch Accept system relies of dealing with a dedicated block of predetermined VDI Numbers. A particular object you might want to eliminate, for example, could be an older ring-pull type pull tab. If you have found a certain number of them in an area to become annoying, then you could select a Notch segment to reject so as not to hear them.

However, you have no control over the range of the Notch Segment so you might lose some desirable targets that also fall in that factory-set VDI numeric range.

Third, sometimes, changing a search coil can reflect a slightly different VDI number for the same target. Also, in some challenging ground mineral environments, especially when dealing with a more dense mineral body (like dense black sand pockets, pea gravel, a hot rock, a dirt clod, etc., etc.) you will not be able to get a 'proper' Target ID or VDI numeric reading for a known good or bad target. In these types of cases, larger dedicated Notch Segments are not practical.

Fourth, Notch Discrimination was an interesting idea, especially in an earlier era, when it was primarily designed to help hobby-mined "coin hunters" reject a smaller segment of pull tabs which, at that time, were mainly the older ring-pull type and they generally were more conductive than the US 5

i have several detectors that have a notch feature but almost never use it.
I don't coin shoot much as i hunt mostly older sites.
I can say the GB has such a solid ID in my soil if i am park hunting and do a few junk targets
i just remember there ID and pass on them after that.

Hobo lobo said:
Notch is for amateurs.

I would say that's a rather bold and mis-guided statement not knowing the person using the detector...:starwars::( I do not think that notching is for armatures.:rolleyes: I think it is a choice and a function that serves a purpose if desired or needed by the operator.:) Some like notching and some do not care for the notch feature but that does not make them a amateur by any means..

Happy & Safe Hunting To All,:detecting:
Bill G

I have thought about the notch features before. About the only time I would want it is if the detector had a true notch system where I needed to find a certain item and I also had a copy of it (like earrings). Set the detector to notch out everything but the item I wanted and then hunt. I would think that would make things efficient. But that hasn't happened to me. Maybe others use it to help eliminate pull tabs but also understand they will potentially miss out on some good stuff like gold jewelry.

Why would anyone want notch on a nugget / prospecting detector. Thats what the GB is. It may work good for other detecting but its desgined and mfg. as a gold hunter.

Hobo lobo said:
Why would anyone want notch on a nugget / prospecting detector. That's what the GB is. It may work good for other detecting but its desgined and mfg. as a gold hunter.

where did anyone want a notch function on a gold detector in these post.??:confused: The original question or post was a guy wanting the pro's & cons between the notching feature of the Omega detector oriented towards coin shooting verses the no notching on the Gold Bug..:unsure: designed for prospecting (gold hunting), relic hunting and coin shooting is that order :goodnight:

Bill G

Bill G said:
Hobo lobo said:
Why would anyone want notch on a nugget / prospecting detector. That's what the GB is. It may work good for other detecting but its desgined and mfg. as a gold hunter.

where did anyone want a notch function on a gold detector in these post.??:confused: The original question or post was a guy wanting the pro's & cons between the notching feature of the Omega detector oriented towards coin shooting verses the no notching on the Gold Bug..:unsure: designed for prospecting (gold hunting), relic hunting and coin shooting is that order :goodnight:

Bill G
Comparing a coin detector to a nugget hunting detector ?????????:goodnight: