Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nothing special coin spill

jim tn

Probably wouldn't have taken a picture even if I still carried a camera, but in thinking about it, don't recall throughout my decades of hunting of ever hitting a coin spill quite this large. All newer coinage, save for 1 1958 wheat among the spoils. It all came from an area less then a foot in diameter and initially started out as a over ring on my F 75. Took a closer look and noticed several cent coins laying in a cluster. Got the pin pointer and screw driver out and went to work. By the time I was done I had recovered 35 Memorials, 5 nickels, 7 dimes, 6 quarters and 1 wheat. 54 coins in total. All were located with my pin pointer. Yesterday, after Church, I spent 1 1/2 hours on the spot and recovered a 45 wheat cent and a 43 Merc. Once we get a nice soaking rain, looks like I need to rework the spot. My buddy and I hit it pretty hard a couple of years ago and between us recovered close to 50 silver coins, including several Barber dimes and a couple of quarters, as I recall. Actually, the little park is a tale of its own. You all stay well and dig good. HH jim tn

That’s quite the clad coin spill Jim!!!
50 silvers out of this area? That is a tremendous amount of silver!! This park seems to be never ending on coins...maybe I can help 🤭🤭

maybe I can help 🤭🤭
Come on down. I need all the help I can get.

I drove by this corner patch twice a day going to and from my office down town for 20 + years and gave it nothing more then a token glance. Somewhat in my defense, its location is a fair distance from the older parts of the city and is surrounded by upscale, high dollar condos and homes. On a whim one day, my buddy and I decided to stop and give it a quick shot just for kicks. Ha, my first target right beside my vehicle was a 1960's era Canadian half dollar and shorty after my buddy recovered a no date S L quarter. We did determine from the types of trash we recovered that probably a house or two had sat on the spot at some point in time, but from the numbers of silver and wheat cent recoveries we made, we both felt something else had to have gone on there. Old home sites typically don't give up those kind of old coin numbers. HH jim tn

I drove by this corner patch twice a day going to and from my office down town for 20 + years and gave it nothing more then a token glance. Somewhat in my defense, its location is a fair distance from the older parts of the city and is surrounded by upscale, high dollar condos and homes. On a whim one day, my buddy and I decided to stop and give it a quick shot just for kicks. Ha, my first target right beside my vehicle was a 1960's era Canadian half dollar and shorty after my buddy recovered a no date S L quarter. We did determine from the types of trash we recovered that probably a house or two had sat on the spot at some point in time, but from the numbers of silver and wheat cent recoveries we made, we both felt something else had to have gone on there. Old home sites typically don't give up those kind of old coin numbers. HH jim tn
I truly wish I had the time. I’d be camping 🏕 in your backyard 🤣 midTN will have to fill in for me 😂

You are right old home sites don’t usually give up that quantity of silver. I’m glad you finally gave it a shot as all those coins were waiting year after year for you two.

I'm thinking maybe in wasn't a coin spill but maybe actually a kid his the money for his own buried treasure?
My brother and me had a similar experience a couple years ago, we actually wore the batteries down on his pinpointed searching the hole for so many coins.
Cool find Jim.

I was thinking some poor puked up all the coins he was dared to swallow!!!! Thats quite a spill!

Kind of a strange spill when you think about it. The clad coins are fairly realistic numbers to be carried, but who goes around with 35 pennies in there pocket? Also, the 58 wheat cent was on top of the ground and part of the pill, so, as we know, the occasional older coin still comes along in change.

O k, off to the gum, make breakfast for a most understanding wife and self and 3 1/2 hours or so of swinging delight. You all have a grand day. HH jim tn

Good find on the coin spill. Those odd corner patches are sometimes great producers of old coins. Makes you wonder how many people have driven past them over the years on their way to greener pastures.

Thanks everyone, its always fun to pluck the spoils of our hobby up by the handful.:D

miserman, as I mentioned, the spot really is deceptive. Businesses on two sides and big money structures on the other two. I was being a bit vague about what I knew about the site. Once my buddy and I started hitting silver and other older coins I did a bit of research on the spot and learned there had been a club house on it. It got torn down and a new one built in another location. A chunk of the adjoining land was sold made residential and the corner piece donated to the city for a park. It wouldn't surprise me to know it had never been hunted...and if so...not very hard and carefully. HH jim tn

That's a coin spill Jim.!.
Mark

Nice job scoping out that site, my friend hit a similar house years ago where they a
had hosted ice cream socials it was loaded with old silver. Good ones are far a few between!
HH Jeff

Probably wouldn't have taken a picture even if I still carried a camera, but in thinking about it, don't recall throughout my decades of hunting of ever hitting a coin spill quite this large. All newer coinage, save for 1 1958 wheat among the spoils. It all came from an area less then a foot in diameter and initially started out as a over ring on my F 75. Took a closer look and noticed several cent coins laying in a cluster. Got the pin pointer and screw driver out and went to work. By the time I was done I had recovered 35 Memorials, 5 nickels, 7 dimes, 6 quarters and 1 wheat. 54 coins in total. All were located with my pin pointer. Yesterday, after Church, I spent 1 1/2 hours on the spot and recovered a 45 wheat cent and a 43 Merc. Once we get a nice soaking rain, looks like I need to rework the spot. My buddy and I hit it pretty hard a couple of years ago and between us recovered close to 50 silver coins, including several Barber dimes and a couple of quarters, as I recall. Actually, the little park is a tale of its own. You all stay well and dig good. HH jim tn
Now that’s what I call a top of the line coin spill !!! Nice. Jim