Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Novice here

brnn53

Hello, my first post. I am totally new to detecting and have to admit that I am overwhelmed at the selection of detectors and their strong points. I would like to do some of it all, coins, relics, etc. and really don't know which machine to buy. I have been looking at a used Whites 5900 DI Pro SL, a Whites Classic 5ID, and have also considered the Garrett 250 Ace. I saw that Willy had a new 5900 for sale but he hasn't responded to my private message. Am I looking at the right "gear" to get started? I have read a ton of posts on this board and it looks like the right place to be for this new hobby! Thanks for any advice.
Brnn53

I'd say the 5900 or the Ace.

The Ace will work great for coins, and can detect relics.
But with the 5900 it has a meter, and will give you a better idea on what it is for relics. And may be a bit deeper than the Ace.
It all has to do with the ground you detect in.

Definitely a great learning machine. I traded it in when I bought my CZ5, but wish I had kept it. With the no meter machine, you really have to take the time to learn, and with only 2 knobs, it's easy to figure out. Meters can be really overwhelming, and disappointing. I strongly urge anoyone to buy their first detector from a local dealer who can show you the ropes and answer any questions you have. Then again, these forums are great places to get your questions answered. The Garrett Ace 250 seems to be higly recommended as a started machine, but I think a used CZ would be good too. Don't worry so much about what detector right now, just get a decent name-brand one and put in the time to learn it. Once you've done some detecting, you'll know better what you want and can trade your starter machine in on something that suits your hunting style best.