Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Now that I've got an E-Trac, how can I keep using the Sov? By WATERPROOFING IT!

robby4570

So my new E-Trac will be in Today or tomorrow, and I don't want to retire the Sov Elite so I think I will look at putting it into a waterproof housing that can stan a dunking to a couple feet once in a while. I think I make a long straight shaft to start with and either mount the box at the end of it so that it is about head high or putting it into a backpack. I will the either wire a remote PP/Disc switch or just hunt in Disc mode with no disc or notch but I prefer to have the switch. I will likely hunt only to waist deep waters in the Spring and Fall in the bays primarily where I can't take the PI due to trash.

So, anyone else tried this (waterproofing a Sov) and care to share any tips? I've searched and read several threads on here and a few other forums about this so I am mainly looking for "Oh, BY THE WAY" type info but anything will be appreciated. I especially need part numbers and reviews of waterproof boxes, swithces, cable clams. I'd love to hear how they are working out after some use as well from you guys who've done this.

Thanks Y'all!

Robby,I would wait a while longer before the Elite is retired from land.With the work,resale value of the Elite and expense involved to water proof,I would probably sale the Elite and get a used Excal.Good Luck Ron

Ron from Michigan said:
Robby,I would wait a while longer before the Elite is retired from land.With the work,resale value of the Elite and expense involved to water proof,I would probably sale the Elite and get a used Excal.Good Luck Ron

Thanks Ron, but I won't sell her, I'm keepin' her. She's been really good to me and she's CRAZY DEEP. I went out yesterday with her and took my short (24 inch) handle scoop, what a mistake! Gotta remember to always take enough scoop with that Sovereign Elite!! Next time I'm taking the Stealth. I was digging targets beyond 12 inches the whole hunt. Very little was shallow but I got 5 dimes 4 nickels and about 15 pennies below 12 inches.

I had an Etrac then bought a CTX last August when 17" coil promotion was running. I sold my GT and had sellers remorse from the minute I left the post office. When the last, last batch of GT's were announced I bought 2 of them. I love the CTX, but most days enjoy hunting with the Sovereign more, especially with the 13" Ultimate on a wide open beach at low tide. It is the most perfectly balanced machine setup I've ever used! I don't think the Elite has Iron Mask but I find the GT will pull stuff out of trashiest places where you have to run an FBS machine wide open and listen to all the trash signals to pick targets. :minelab::thumbup: