Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox 800 Mods

I've used mine a few times every week for more than two years. I've changed mine to an "S" rod configuration. Not because there was a problem with it from the factory but because I like how an S rod swings. I changed the arm cuff because I had one with a cuff muff already attached to it, not because the stock one broke. I've had all three coils and never broke an ear on any of them.
Often I see a fairly new car with dents and scratches on three or four sides. How the hell does that happen? Must be the car's fault. :rolleyes:

jas415 I got one of the first ones to be for sale in the U.S.A ......I am now on my 4 control pod. 2 flooded one would not power on ...BTW I keep mine in my air conditioned office. All the problems midalake named off are real..... you been hunting with that machine a lot.....I got a theory about that.....go dunk it in the tub for 2 hrs and let us know what happens!!

Mkus.
you might think about doing this because the supports do help but they don’t solve the problem that actual is causing the breakage. The the teardrops washers are to thin and that is making them to bend inward to the point the coil becomes snug but at that point it’s very close to the breaking point of the ears.
I’ll copy and past here.
Ears
If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some silicon lubercsnt on the shaft to get it back in between then ears..
It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.

Doug

you might think about doing this because the supports do help but they don’t solve the problem that actual is causing the breakage. The the teardrops washers are to thin and that is making them to bend inward to the point the coil becomes snug but at that point it’s very close to the breaking point of the ears.

Doug makes a very good point everyone with an equinox should know! Do what it takes to NOT allow the coil ears to go inward! I, myself try to use thin rubber fender washers. Plastic milk jug will work, as with anything else durable. No doubt the demands of beach hunting will see more failure, as water pressure on the coil and added water weight takes it toll.

However these coil ears are THIN and BRITTLE. This is absolutely a engineering problem. I will be posting my solution in a day or two.

"go dunk it in the tub for 2 hrs and let us know what happens!!"
Are you kiddin'? I went and re-bought a Tesoro Tiger Shark because I didn't want to be without my Nox when it flooded. :)

Funny you are so down on the machine. I have had mine since they came out and have ZERO issue with it. No broken parts, no worn out shafts, no broken coil ears, etc., and I have hunted about 4-6 hours a day 5-7 days a week here in Houston no problems. I dont bay it and it is kept in the garage, not with air conditioning either. Hummmm. .
Midalake is not down on the Equinox. He just does a very strenuous type of detecting in saltwater surf that is really tough on detectors specially made for saltwater hunting and for the user. So, what he, Mkus and many other saltwater surf hunters do is beat the crap out of their detectors which are Equinox for a reason. Even though they have had to upgrade and replace some stock parts that were never meant to be adequate for daily surf hunting, they still use the Equinox because it works really well.

I also have upgraded the shafts and arm cuffs on two of my three Equinox detectors because I don't treat mine nicely in the Rocky Mountains or in the S.W. desert USA. They take a big beating but still work great. I am really thankful that these extremely versatile detectors came along when they did.

The stiffeners just stiffen it up.. But you are still bending the ears close to the breaking point when you just snug it up.
make spacers the thickness of a gallon milk jug and pop out the teardrop washers and place the spacers behind the teardrop washer in the cavity in the shaft. That moves the washer out and the ears hardly bend.
Doug

Mkus.
I’ll copy and past here.
Ears
If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some silicon lubercsnt on the shaft to get it back in between then ears..
It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.

Doug
I'm fully aware of the fragile coil ears I have mine so its almost to loose even with the stiffener I like my coil to lay flat as soon as the detector is set down on the ground.
Mark

I'm fully aware of the fragile coil ears I have mine so its almost to loose even with the stiffener I like my coil to lay flat as soon as the detector is set down on the ground.
Mark

Issues come into play for surf hunters with a loose coil. If the coil is loose, a wave can easily flip it forcefully. Forcefully enough to break your coil ears. Shimming out for a super snug fit is the best option.

A lot of people here in Europe use the Detect Ed detector Shaft. I use one myself and it is a great shaft.