Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox Question..

LS hunter

Im looking to purchase a new metal detector. I mainly hunt for coins...parks.. schools...old yards... I do want to start Beach hunting.. mainly saltwater and no deeper than 5 foot...im looking at the Nox 800 and the ctx.. And tje amphibio multi. I have read a few post that the Equinox 800 will only dig about 6 in on coins and has some chatter problems as well do you guys feel this is the case.. the only reason I'm not jumping onto the CTX is the learning curve I do have more than 25 years in this Hobby but we all know the CTX can be a handful.. I do favor Minelab as the last detector I purchased was the SE Pro from Richard BWD... and I loved the tones...thx.Greg..

I don't use any of the detectors you mention, but hunt with a buddy that has the Nox 800 and he never mentions it has any chatter problems and we hunt urban sites. Also, I can state with fact that he digs coins inches deeper then 6". I am, though, seeing good depth reports on the Anfibio, too.HH jim tn

Ive had a CTX since 2012, once you set it up it’s not bad at all. Works great in water, I mostly used the same land program I used in water.

Just got a EQX, looking forward to using the 20-40khz in water for small gold, which the CTX didn’t do that good at in fresh water.

Aaron

Hi LS Hunter

I am very familiar with the Anfibio/Kruzer series and the Equinox. They are both great detectors.

I had trouble getting the Multi Kruzer I used for awhile to settle down in my soil. I think that was related to my bad soil conditions and not a problem with the Kruzer. The Multi Kruzer is a really nice detector and the Anfibio is even better.

You mentioned lack of depth past 6" on the Equinox. I have found wheat pennies and dimes (The Equinox is great on mid to low conductors, its pretty good on high conductors) with good target IDs and audio at 8" regularly and I live in an area that is very mineralized and reduces detecting depth by 1/3 to 1/2 of most VLF detector's potential. I had problems with excessive EMI chatter and ground noise but noise cancelling, lowering sensitivity, and manual ground balancing made the Equinox a very quiet, superb coin/jewelry detector in the Park and Field modes and a beast for gold prospecting in the Gold modes. I haven't use the beach modes yet.

If you live in an area with moderate to mild soil you should really enjoy either the Nokta Anfibio or the Equinox.

Jeff

LS hunter said:
Im looking to purchase a new metal detector. I mainly hunt for coins...parks.. schools...old yards... I do want to start Beach hunting.. mainly saltwater and no deeper than 5 foot...im looking at the Nox 800 and the ctx.. And tje amphibio multi. I have read a few post that the Equinox 800 will only dig about 6 in on coins and has some chatter problems as well do you guys feel this is the case.. the only reason I'm not jumping onto the CTX is the learning curve I do have more than 25 years in this Hobby but we all know the CTX can be a handful.. I do favor Minelab as the last detector I purchased was the SE Pro from Richard BWD... and I loved the tones...thx.Greg..

"....and no deeper than five foot..." Lol

Thx jim.. I will surely thinking I was going to have to spend 1400 on a used ctx to get some depth..most of my finds here are in the seven to nine inch range you know the usual silver and Wheaties.. much appreciated..

Thx..I like the tone the minelab put out so im glad i dont have to drop 14 1500 on a used ctx..thx for the info...

In my opinion the CTX is a more robust machine than the equinox. I had one for 3 years and always had faith in it that it wouldn't break and that it would find whatever I walked over down to 13 inches with the 17 inch coil.
It is a well built machine, not to say the equinox isn't. It's just constructed differently.
I have sold my ctx. I really like the adjustable tone volume on the Equinox. The ctx didn't have that.
In my test garden the equinox will sound off on all US coins at 11 inches with a digable tone using the standard coil.
These 11 inch coins are not detectable from 360 degrees except for a copper penny.

Thx guys..I love that old silver but then again who doesn't..Just wanted to make sure the Nox 800 would consistently dig at least 7 to 8 inch on a dime or nickel... I'm really conflicted between the ctx and the Nox 800 it just seems the equinox is a little easier to use and has a lot less leakage problems than the ctx has..I know the ctx will get better depth and that can be expected because of the price difference I'm sure ..Whats the depth like on a salty beach and in saltwater...?..Greg

I don't know where you got that 6 inch information. Gentleman in our club routinely dig coins at the salt water beach in excess of a foot deep. He went from a Garrett to the Nox and was astonished at the depth that he was getting. He reports great depth when dirt fishing also.

LS hunter said:
Thx guys..I love that old silver but then again who doesn't..Just wanted to make sure the Nox 800 would consistently dig at least 7 to 8 inch on a dime or nickel... I'm really conflicted between the ctx and the Nox 800 it just seems the equinox is a little easier to use and has a lot less leakage problems than the ctx has..I know the ctx will get better depth and that can be expected because of the price difference I'm sure ..Whats the depth like on a salty beach and in saltwater...?..Greg

CTX deeper because it costs more? WAAAAY wrong. I used the CTX since the first batch was released. I get every bit of depth and maybe a hair more from my EQX than I did from the CTX. I I can't recommend the CTX for anything other than if you just have to have the FeCo display or the GPS. BTW- I LOVE both those features, but they aren't worth the price difference.

I have a Nox and an E-trac, haven't used the CTX. The Nox does feel a bit wimpy construction wise, but I have not had any problems with it breaking or getting damaged during use. Time will tell how robust it is, but with the many thousands of hours among total users, I'm not hearing any common reports of breakage or downtime because of it being a weak machine.
As for tones, there is a major difference between the E-trac and the Nox. Much wider range of tones on the E-trac. The Nox you can a fair bit of adjusting to the pitch, the tone of the pitch, the volume that each range of targets registers at and other settings. So its different, but it has a decent amount of adjustability. The tones won't sound the same, but you can make adjustments to make things provide more nuances than just the same mono beep for every target. Its somewhat similar to the E-trac sounds, but its definitely its own separate language, unfortunately without that sweet silver warble.

If you do get a Nox, you definitely want an 800 model, it's not even close. Pm me for details as there are a few and since thats not what you asked about in your original post, I'm not going to clutter it up with info you may not want

pmhoover said:
I have a Nox and an E-trac, haven't used the CTX. The Nox does feel a bit wimpy construction wise, but I have not had any problems with it breaking or getting damaged during use. Time will tell how robust it is, but with the many thousands of hours among total users, I'm not hearing any common reports of breakage or downtime because of it being a weak machine.

This is always the trade-off with the construction of anything. When you build it as strong as a tank, it also winds up weighing just as much. Us end-users always want them to be as light as possible but as strong as the tank.

So far I LOVE the weight of the EQX. I haven't had any problems from weak construction, it seems perfectly robust for its use. I think there were some sealing issues with the first production, because there were a number of problems with water inside the control head. I haven't heard any more problems lately. I do wish they had stuck with the CTX flip latch on the rod instead of the twist-lock.

You can get down to 10 or 11 inches on the salt water beaches for a dime. Deeper for the 15" coil, I am sure.
But, the Nox has a pretty steep learning curve also. This is hardly a "turn on and go" machine.

The CTX is undoubtedly a fantastic machine IMHO for what I do,while being a bit heavy...I tend to live and die by accurate readings,so there’s that too,but preliminary depth tests in AIR tell me that the 800 will do fine on coins to the 10” level if it does the same in much of my ground. If you’re worried about “setup”...don’t...you do NOT have to go farting around with every single button it has to begin with,and that’s with anything really. As I just stated elsewhere,the machine is a TOOL,and how well you learn to use that tool should equate somewhat with your degree of success. Both machines will CERTAINLY get you well past 6” though,so don’t worry about all of that.

MassSaltH2O said:
You can get down to 10 or 11 inches on the salt water beaches for a dime. Deeper for the 15" coil, I am sure.
But, the Nox has a pretty steep learning curve also. This is hardly a "turn on and go" machine.

Oh please, the EQX is as simple as it can be. You can literally turn it on and begin hunting. It doesn't require any special training to start making good finds.

If you want to hunt the fringe depth targets, that will take some time.
If you want to hunt in extreme trash, that will take some time.
But those things are true of EVERY detector.

Thx.so much guys.Im leaning towards the Nox 800...I want to get in the water as well..I had the Excal 2 just couldn't get used to no screen so i let it go.....Lets face it most of us or in the hobby to find gold and where better to do that than the beach and i think the Nox will do the job for me...

Jason in Enid

LS Hunter has many years of detecting experience. So, for the most part you are probably correct that for anyone like him who is acquainted with a Minelab FBS or Vflex detector or any other mid-range full featured detector there should be no problem figuring out the Equinox.

Just to be clear though, if a newbie is reading this or someone upgrading from an entry level detector that is beep and dig or has limited features, the Nox may or may not be a simple turn on and begin hunting detector.
You may have to make some immediate adjustments especially if you are hunting at a beach with lots of black sand, in high mineralization, prospecting or in the detecting situations Jason mentioned.

For me personally, I have NEVER been able to turn on and go in any of the preset default modes. I have to make adjustments to deal with high mineralization and high EMI. So, I have to at least do automatic noise cancelling, ground balance, adjust preset discrimination a little and definitely adjust sensitivity down from the default of 20 and go to 5 tones or less. Otherwise, I will have to deal with an audio cacophony that will make detecting impossible and make me physically ill too after a very short time.

Jeff

jmaclen said:
Jason in Enid

LS Hunter has many years of detecting experience. So, for the most part you are probably correct that for anyone like him who is acquainted with a Minelab FBS or Vflex detector or any other mid-range full featured detector there should be no problem figuring out the Equinox.

Just to be clear though, if a newbie is reading this or someone upgrading from an entry level detector that is beep and dig or has limited features, the Nox may or may not be a simple turn on and begin hunting detector.
You may have to make some immediate adjustments especially if you are hunting at a beach with lots of black sand, in high mineralization, prospecting or in the detecting situations Jason mentioned.

For me personally, I have NEVER been able to turn on and go in any of the preset default modes. I have to make adjustments to deal with high mineralization and high EMI. So, I have to at least do automatic noise cancelling, ground balance, adjust preset discrimination a little and definitely adjust sensitivity down from the default of 20 and go to 5 tones or less. Otherwise, I will have to deal with an audio cacophony that will make detecting impossible and make me physically ill too after a very short time.

Jeff

Actually, its easier for a brand new detectorist to pick an EQX than a long time hunter. When we spend a lot of time detecting we adjust and learn the nuances of that detector. The longer you've used it, the more deeply ingrained that learning becomes. Moving from a CTX to the EQX is just as hard as moving from a Garrett or XP, or any other. We have to completely re-wire our brains to the new sounds and reactions.

Your situation is definitely a little more difficult, but that doesn't apply to 90% of the land people detect. Adjusting for minerals and EMI isnt difficult though and you already admit you do that with every detector. Everything else is personal preference but not required.

I started off Thing when i was 15 my first detector was a Garrett ads 7 and it can with two manuals one was a pocket manual, im 49 now and i have to say in my opinion there's not to many turn on and go detectors out there..I have always jumped in headfirst when buying a detector like the Spectra vision man thank god whites has a really good secvice deportment not saying it was a bad detector i should have did some research before buying and that's all I'm doing here my research before making a purchase. I love Minelab I've had the SE Pro, Excal 2...I was looking at the ctx but from what I've gathered from all the research is the Nox will do the job and do it well and has a better track record as far as leakage..thx for your time and help guys...Greg..