Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox scores 3 Mercs in 2 hunts in trash infested site.

Dan(NM)

Ok, I've taken my 800 to several heavily hunted places where I had finally stopped pulling anything worthwhile the last couple of visits. I have pounded these places into submission with the Etrac and several large and small coils. Then last January I went back with the CTX and took out a few more keepers using the stock and 6" coil. The trash is light to moderate here, I normally run an open screen with combined tones on the CTX, 2TTF on the Etrac with no disc as well.

I had visions of taking the EQ to these sights and finding a few more coins and things I thought I may have missed with the FBS and FBS2 machines. Well, you know what happens when expectations meet reality, disappointment. I spent 3 days and 15-20 hours hunting behind the CTX and I scored a big fat zero, nothing old, deep or worth keeping. I was kinda bummed out to say the least!! I tried using Park 1 and 2 with a low recovery speed, 3-4 and iron bias at 2-3 and as high a sensitivity as possible.

I was reading a post by someone on one of the forums about him hitting a iffy target with a recovery speed of 4, he then upped the speed to 7 and he got a nice clean repeatable signal in some heavy trash. Light bulb moment!!! I came to the conclusion that I was trying to force the Nox to perform the same as the CTX and not for the purpose I had bought it(extreme trashy sites) I had sold a Racer 2 and some some coils to buy the Nox for the same purpose I had acquired the R2, fast recovery in heavy trash.

So, I set my 800 up in Park 2, 5 tones, full volume on all segments, tone break for high conductors at 21, recovery at 7 and iron bias at 3 with no disc. So yesterday I headed to an an old abandoned baseball field that must have been used as a dumping ground at one point, it is the trashiest place I've hunt in town.

I fired up the Nox and did my noise cancel and GB, set my sens at 20 and began swinging. It didn't take long to see where this machine is going to shine for me, the speed and crispness of the tones even in a heavily polluted sight was amazing. I used a moderate swing speed, faster then I would swing my CTX, but, not whipping it.

There was no doubt when I hit a target in my high tone zone :biggrin: I ended up taking out 2 Mercs yesterday a 1940 and 44 and one today, 1924, along with a wheat. I zeroed in one the nastiest places on purpose since I had spent hours with the CTX on the cleaner spots and didn't want to waste my time, maybe another day!!

I found more memorials today than I had in the last 3-4 trips combined, all intermingled with trash and iron of every kind. The high tones pop compared to the lower tones and left no doubt I had run my coil over a high conductive target. The copper pennies read 25-26 with steady numbers, deep flattened alum screw tops read 29-35, very bouncy. The merc I found today locked on at 28, 4" down and almost straight up and down with a sweet high tone.

So, what I now realize is, the 800 will not take the place of my CTX in light to moderate trashy sites, it provides way too much target info on the deeper high conductors. But, anywhere I need target separation and a faster sweep speed, the Nox will take over from there. I just need that 6" coil to really see what this machine can do, I'm sure I'll have another big surprise in store.

I just tested mine on a 9" dime at 7-8 recovery 0 iron bias at 23 sens and the Nox would hit both cleanly. This thing is stupid fast at 6 recovery and for it to hit and ID the dime at that depth accurately is awesome. If I remember right the Deus wont hit the dime at a reactivity of 4+ but I could be wrong, if it did I dont think it would ID it, just give me a tone.I'll double check this.. more testing I suppose.

I believe I've been hunting in to low a recovery as well thinking I needed more depth....

Thanks for the write up!

CZconnoisseur said:
Way to go Dan! Other than the up-and-down Merc how far down were the other coins?

Roughly 5-6" at this site.
I never dug anything over 6-7" here with the CTX. I did get some solid hits on smashed aluminum screwcaps about the size of a quarter at 8" numbers jumped from 29-35, still impressive with recovery at 7

My deepest dime yet is 9" at an old school, recovery speed was at 5

Outstanding write-up, Dan. VERY good info in terms of how you set up the machine...and an excellent testimonial on the abilities of the EQ.

I may be running my recovery too low, as well...thinking "depth" instead of what I REALLY bought the machine for (as you say)...separation in trash.

Oh, and by the way, GREAT digs, Dan. EXCELLENT!!

Steve

Awesome write up and discoveries among the trash!!

Great job Dan. This is the feedback I was waiting for. Your unbiased and experienced review of the NOX vs the CTX. Nice finds too :)

Thanks guys!!

I look forward to learning more about this machine as everyone gets some time on the 600 or the 800 in different conditions and locations.

Great find! Love the equinox.

Nice write up Dan, looks like you have your Nox dialed in.:clapping: