Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

nt

As soon as I can, I will go back and do further tests.

My only fear about using disc is losing small nuggets, so I'll take one with and check it.

I went to 4 tone as other people liked it for deep coins. I'll try the others.

Any comment on the hand capacitance and coil bumping issues? Might be I have a dud coil, beside my obvious inexperience with this machine.

I guess it's not like I'm picking easy areas to learn in, mineralized and trashy as they are and right next to power lines at the old site. Plus not being able to dig many of the frozen-in signals is not helping.

I did dig some stuff and got "proper" ID on them. Just noisy and sensitive to ground changes and bumps. As I learn it, things will get better.

-Ed

All you can do in some of these cases is just put up with it. Might also be a coil shielding issue. If it's a repeatable thing in various types of soil matrixes, it is a shieding problem and you need to send it in to First Texas. If it is just isolated occurances or specific to a particular soil matrix then all you can do is adjust as best you can.

Find the optimum frequency, then mix and match settings to where it is a quiet as you can get it and still get the performance you need for that area's targets. Some times you may just need to switch machines.

I find the T2 gives me better soil information and compliments the feature sets on my detectors, and I switch machines when it tells me to. I don't think I have ever been more content than I am right now with my detectors and features.

:detecting:

I hope I'm not making a big deal out of nothing, but it is sounding like a bum coil. I just now tried this: Powerup, no changes to default settings. Merely waving my open hand over the coil's center makes it sound and ID about 51. Tap the side of the coil with flat of hand, or shaft anywhere with heel of hand makes a beep or two and ID of around 27.

In the process of elimination, I don't own a cell phone or wear a watch, rings or any jewelery. Machine's in the open, upsidedown, or otherwise held with coil away from any metal, such as my glasses, belt buckle or shoe eyelets, keys, etc. Cable's well wrapped and away from the coil. Machine's screws all tight. Shirt sleeve pulled up to expose bare arm. Not a newbie, detected 25 years, currently own 9 detectors, three have only manual GB. Just getting the simple or obvious explanations out of the way.

The default disc is 10, that did still beep a lot at my site. Most of the spurious ID's are in the 30's, so setting disc there might work, as the one larger "$20" nug I still have here reads 49 fairly often.

So I think we can deal with the site's conditions with more practice. Every other machine I own has worked there no problems, other than a lot of trash, but no severe falsing or gb issues.

The question to me now is whether anyone else is seeing handwave or bump beeps. Any machine that exhibits bad hand capacitance will also react badly in wet conditions, changing soil elevations and content and this may help explain my difficulties ground balancing and the many, many false tones.

If I can cure that, it will probably help at my site.

-Ed

n/t

IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOUR BATTERIES ARE NOT MAKING GOOD CONNECTION--I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ANOTHER DET. AND THE BATTERIES WAS THE PROBLEM--HOPE THIS HELPS!

CLARK

I'll contact El Paso and if they agree with the symptoms being in the coil, I'll do as you suggest.

Another way for me to test further was to remove the lower stem, then I was able to isolate which part is bump-sensitive, it's the coil end. Bumping the control box does nothing.

One further thing I noted, just barely moving the cable right at the coil also made beeps. Sounding like a failed solder joint, I've seen that in other coils I've hacked open.

I'll still give it the benefit of a doubt and check it over once more before asking for a replacement, just to make sure it's not something silly, missed metal indoors, interferance, etc.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I was beginning to doubt my supremely honed detectorist abilities! ;-O

-Ed

Thanks Clark,

Good tip! Seems ok, but just in case, I did buy new batteries. I've been using NimH, still on their first charge but running down a bit. They are a tad shorter than alkalines and could be bouncing.

A weak shield wire in the coil sure could help explain the signals I was hearing in the field, but I'm also trying not to be the poor workman who blames the tools. We'll try to make sure it's the coil before bothering Teknetics.

-Ed

Thanks for the feedback on the cable and coil, Scott. This machine is so sensitive, that I'm sure a floppy cable would read. Tried it again, isolating cable movement to just where it enters. It's there, but hard to make repeatable. It does it more mounted to the machine, but then it also resonates more.

If you can whack your coil with it mounted to the machine and it stays quiet, then as you say, that leaves little room for doubt.

-Ed