Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nugget hunting with the X-Terra 70

Smitty II

I purchased the X-Terra 70 because it not only had an excellent coin and jewelry mode but because it also has a full blown excellent prospecting mode.I have done very well using it hunting for coins and jewelry but just before Christmas I had a chance to really see how it would do prospecting. I went to the Stanton,AZ gold fields around Rich Hill for a week. This was my first time in that area so most of the time was spent getting familiar with the area and the claims that I could hunt on. I did spend a fair amount of time nugget shooting and also dug a couple 5 gallon bucket full of dirt out of a friends glory hole.

While nugget shooting I found the usual small iron items like nails and boot tacks, plenty of bullet lead and shell casings. I found that some of the hot rocks sounded different that real targets. They had a ring tail sound as you passed the coil over them. There were others that sounded just like real targets but I found a way to use the threshold auto tune to determine if they were hot rocks or real targets. Then there were those that I had to dig to make sure

On the last day I was hunting a claim and spotted some decomposing bed rock along the edge and bottom of a wash. I had the X-Terra 70 in the prospecting mode and was using the High frequency 5x10 coil. I was using the stock iron mask settings and the sensitivity at 24. I auto ground balanced the detector and hunted in the tracking mode. I would place the coil on the bed rock and allow the detectors ground tracking to track to the bedrock. Then I would sweep over the cracks and crevices listing for any change in the threshold. If I heard a target I would switch the detector out of Track to keep it from tracking out the target. I worked very slowly and listened for very slight changes since some of the cracks were pretty deep. There was about 60 feet of exposed bed rock so it took a while to work it all at the speed I was going. Several times I thought I had found a nugget only to have it turn out to be a small piece of lead. Finally I hit pay dirt. I heard a weak signal over a crack. I took my crevice digging tool and cleaned out the crack and out popped a small elongated gold nugget. It was about 3 1/2" down in the crack and on edge. The nugget weighted slightly over 1/2 gram, was 7/16" long and 3/16" wide. The signal was not super strong but it was clear and repeatable.

[attachment 44415 AZNugget.5gramss.JPG]

The X-Terra 70 proved to be a good prospecting tool as well as a good coin and jewelry machine.

God Bless,

Smitty II

congrats Smitty II, you have unlocked the code for nugget hunting, go slow in bedrock areas, gold nuggets are not easy to find, every winter people come to the AZ desert from all over the world and spend months hunting gold. The folks around Stanton are a great bunch, besides finding a gold nugget, I am sure you found some good friends.

colt

Nice! I have the X-Terra 70 and also a GP 3000. How do you feel the 70 Is on depth. What kind of depth were you digging bullets, nails, and the such. So far I am finding out this machine is great for coins and the like but don't know how it rates in gold.

A great write up on gold hunting with the X70, Smitty II.

I learned from it and am sure a lot of others did, too:biggrin: