Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nugget Settings

A

Anonymous

Here is a question for the experienced Nugget hunters out there. I am using an XS. If I prefer maximum depth and am not worried about sensitivity to small nuggets, are there certain settings that will insure maximum depth. Consider that most of the hunting will be in the deserts of Arizona and I may or may not have to notch out some hot rocks.
Also, is there a site or page that has some Explorer programs or preferences put together by Explorer users for different types of hunting?
Thanks for the help.
Jerry in Southern California

There are no Gold Nugget Programs Due to the variations in nugget Sizes, Shapes, And Mineral content. As you probably know gold nuggets are not 100% pure they always have some other metal involved this varies where it will hit on the screen. Maximum depth usually means minimum descrimination I'd run Ironmask at -16 then back it up to -8 if you start running into hot rocks. Max out the sesitivity then back it off if you have problems keeping a null due to minerals and black sand. Your not going to have a lot of luck with nuggets under 0.5grams as my test would only pick them up at 3.5" air test. Good luck Hope you hit a patch of nuggets bigger than 0.5grams.

Hi Miles
I'm a newbie to the explorer and have a question that has nothing to do with gold nuggets but more to do with iron mask. You mentioned to try running it at -16. I've heard others say this too but I'm a bit confused (maybe). At -16 iron mask is effectively off, so instead of setting it to -16 can I also just hit the iron mask button and turn it off? I'm just trying to understand the controls on this machine. Thanks! -Dave

Miles,
Thanks for the response. I'm not worried about 1/2 gram nuggets. (although I won't pass one up if it presents its self) Actually I have a 1/4 gram and 2/10ths gram (measured in grains but I don't remember how many grains off the top of my head.) that I use as "Test" nuggets. I have them laminated in heavy plastic so that they dont get lost out in the field. The first test of my detector on each trip is to try those 2 test nuggets. If I can get those at least I know the detector is working. I pick up both of those in air test at about 3 inches with the stock coil. Now I want to make sure that I have maximum depth in the areas that I hunt. The areas have been hunted quite a bit in some cases and my big advantage is the depth capability of the Minelab detectors. All of the little stuff has probably been pcked up by people with GoldMasters (me), GoldBugs (me) and other detectors designed to pick up gold, including small nuggets. I have access to an area that has very rich history for larger "pickers" and need to make sure that I am exploiting that as much as possible. Generaly, I can live with hot rocks, so should I just turn off the Iron Discriminate? Does the detector work deeper in ALL metal? Thanks again for your help.
Jerry

Thats been a ongoing debate about the iron mask and depth. Theory is the less discrimination the deeper you can go, on most machines this is correct, but I'm not shur that it effects the minelab FBS so much. My main concern would be that if you run Iron mask a hotrock would possibly null the detector right by a small nugget and you'll miss it. But the best people to get info about ironmask settings is Mike & Jim as they both run their machines in ironmask a lot and have more time on the Explorer than I do.

If your running in ironmask your only discriminating against iron. At -16 you have no descrimination of Iron so yes you would be in a all metals mode of sorts but its not really considered that. Just turning off Ironmask won't put you into a accept all metals mode unless in your discrimination Smart screen you have cleared out all descrimination so you have a blank/white screen. Also I remember hearing a while back that someone tried testing between the Blank Smart Screen and Ironmask at -16 and got a little more depth in the Ironmask mode at -16. I hope mike or jim correct me if I'm wrong.