Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Numeric assignment for nickels

INVASCdigger

I'm spending the winter in South Carolina, and I just got my new Garrett AT Pro. I've checked the numeric display for the various pocket coins "in air", and would like to know if anyone has a silver war nickel that they could air test and let me know the number range. I've checked a regular circulating nickel and found a range of 50 to 53. If possible, the numbers for a V nickel would also be appreciated. That brings up another thought...has anyone created a table with the different coin number values for the AT Pro? Thank you!
INVASCdigger

TheDualFieldBandit said:
it's the same as a regular nickel 50, 51 hope this helps. HH

Thank you! Much appreciated.
INVASCdigger

I've had some of the silver war nickles bounce betweenlow 50's and low 80's probably because they were fairly deep say 4-6" slightly corroded or discolored in this wet soil and because of the SILVER content I think making the signal bounce between those readings. It does the same on a couple of other machines I have too on those war nickles. Last one wasn't more than 3" deep and made my Omega8000 do that bounce from nickel to dime back to nickle too every few passes of the coil.

Most regular nickles hit in the low50's 51-53 or so. In air tests I think they hit right at 53 so any reading around 50-55 I would probably investigate them.

Jefferson Nickels are one of the hardest American coins to pin down with a steady VDI #. On the grounds surface or in the air and dry they will almost always be a nice steady 52-53 with my ATPro.......BUT put that same nickel down in the WET ground for a while and all bets are off. That coin will not stay steady 75% of the time, it will shoot VDI #'s in a series up to the low 60' s and then back down to 50 and back up again as the coil passes over it......the trick to recognize it as a nickel is that the VDI of 53 will flash more often than any of the other VDI #'s in the sequence.

I think everybody looking for that steady 53 is the reason that nickels are usually on the low end of the totem pole in total coins found. I think people assume the radical behavior as that of the lowly :pulltab: and walk on by.

The nickels act like they are electrified for lack of a better word.......:rofl:

After noticing this phenomenon especially with the AT Gold......I've gone back and re-hunted what I considered coin sterile ground and guess what I found......lots of Jefferson Nickels and not much else.

QH

I 100% agree with quarterhorse. One more thing though, LISTEN to what the AT pro is telling you. The nickels have a much more "positive" sound to them.

Correct they do bounce around so people pass as trash. I pinpoint it and other targets when I find a target then make sure to take the sweet spot on the coil right in the middle and swing over it again to see what numbers I get then. Sometimes it helps to bring them in better for me. It helps ME on making the decision whether to dig or not. I do this a lot with all 4 of the detectors I use. Just a habit I got into. Found a V nickel all brown rusty surface like and it did just what Quarter Horse said it bounced into the 60's then low 50's but if I see the majority of signals hitting around that nickle block on the ATPRO I dig it.