Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

O-Ring lubrication?

INVASCdigger

When I first received my AT Pro, I noticed that the O-Ring that protected the battery compartment had a greasy substance that, I assume was to help seal the compartment from water/moisture. Now that I've opened and closed the compartment a number of times, the lubrication doesn't seem to be as noticeable. I looked in the owner's manual, but didn't see anything about using a product such as Dow Corning 111, or similar. Does anyone know if Garrett recommends periodic maintenance of the O-Ring, and what the recommended product should be? Also, are there any other areas that should be serviced from time to time to keep moisture out? Thanks!
INVASCdigger

[size=large]if your not a diver it was recommended by some users months ago to use plummer's silicone from Lowe's. should be used on headphone jack and coil plug as well as the battery door. only need a light coating from time to time.

HH.[/size]

Most any hardware has silicone grease. I always have to ask for it as I can never find the little can.

Wouldn't it be great if Garrett (as well as all other manufacturers) provided a small tube of it with the detector purchase? It would dummy proof it for people like me and wouldn't cost them much at all.

Don't worry, most of the dive gear that needs it doesn't come with any either!

I use dow corning "high vacuum grease". Water aint gonna move it that is for sure. It will be there awhile also

joekool said:
I use dow corning "high vacuum grease". Water aint gonna move it that is for sure. It will be there awhile also

Just out of curiosity is it rated as safe for neoprene and/or rubber o-rings? Sounds interesting. Around o-rings you have to be careful because many products can degrade them and the silicone is supposed to be safe for all of them.

been using it almost a year now and under water also. This stuff is great. Safe and real good on rubber o-rings and seals. Real thick. It is so thick that on vacuum systems of any type it will actually seal a leak.
Grease designed for sealing and lubricating vacuum and pressure systems, maintaining vacuum and pressure systems. Used to lubricate water-treating equipment, synthetic rubber gaskets and seals in high-temperature applications.
Base chemistry is silicone

I use this stuff I got at Home Depot

LastScan-1.jpg

HH,

Most swimming pool supply shops carry a silicone based grease for lubricating swimming pool equipment o-rings.