Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Odd air test with the 1270.

Hey gang, I've been doing some airtests with my new to me 1270. Noticed something peculiar. I get the same depth 10 inches on an Indian Head as I do on a Morgan dollar. Basically all the coins I tried were the same other than a dime which was a little less. Tried all the coils too. You think a Morgan Silver Dollar would get much more depth than the much smaller Indian Head/Wheat Penny but they were exactly the same. -Jay

Any thoughts folks? I wonder if it's because I did it indoors...10 inches on an Indian is great, 10 inches on a Morgan is bad....doesn't make much sense...lol -Jay

Air tests are not the real McCoy.
You do not need a metal detector on targets that you can see floating in the air.
10" in the ground are a different ball park.
If you can consistently find pennies at 10" in the ground, you got yourself one hell of a hot set-up detector.
And do not be fooled by most Youtube videos.
There people wave coins at weed whacking speeds in front of their coils.
You

I understand everything you're saying. Still even in an air test the Morgan should get more than an Indian head penny. I;m not complaining though, 10 inches on a penny size coin is great. -Jay

Outstanding answer Skookum couldn't have said it better myself you are right on the money. Length of time in the ground as the coin properties are absorbed into the soil make for a deeper signal return.

I'm going to say that to a point non ferrous coins will gain more depth the larger they are but only to a point, what I mean by that is,
A penny is larger than a dime, but the depth difference isn't measurable.
A quarter is larger than a penny by a lot, but though it may get a better response than the penny the measurable depth difference is very little.
The same goes for a Half dollar, vs the quarter, I don't think the size of the coin can be a depth grading system, but more of an easier target to hit at the same depth. At the far end of the detection field it sort-a tapers off so its easier for a tiny target to get missed than a larger target.

Now, in all metal mode you may see more of a depth difference in size than in disc mode (maybe??)
Now, with Ferrous rusty things like car hoods you will get more depth for sure, for one its HUGE, and its rusty, so it being already very large add in the rust halo all around it which also reaches upward and at three foot it may act like a car hood at one foot. But I don't think non ferrous coins will act even a little like that.

Now, I want to be carful here.
With any new to me detector I try to not cast doubt in it before I give it a fair shake and get past the learning curve, if I build a case of negativity about the unit before hand there is a good chance I will never really have any faith in it when I take it hunting, sort of like shooting the horse in the hoof before I even saddle it.

New to me detector air test is just to verify some things,
Its works, (powers up)
It responds correctly to multiple targets.
Controls work as they should.
Has seeming good target response at good points of depths.
I can learn what the unit sounds like over different targets, (less learning in the field)
Then take it out hunting with at lest some feelings of excitement about what it can do, starting out totally negative your not likely to really try to work it at all (Don't start out with the wrong mindset, it can't ruin the best Christmas Gift)

Also just to note, I've found a good number of detectors that will detect a nickel at greater distance than a US Quarter??

Mark

Thanks for responding Mark. I want to make it clear that I'm not doubting the 1270 at all. Like I said, 10 inches on an Indian is great, I just naturally thought a Morgan dollar would get more than the smaller coin. I can't wait til the snow melts to try it out. I know for sure that the 1270 has enough depth in our area to get basically everything. -Jay

Hi,
Yeah, that is one of its annoying points.
It WILL get everything - in trashy areas this

Here is some air test I just did with my 1270 and the 5" x 10" elliptical coil.
Two people doing the test, one swinging the targets and measuring, the other was close to the control housing and the speaker.

Settings,
Disc =3.5
Sens = 9 (some chatter)
Silencer and Iron Mode both = off
Volume = 8

Targets and results.,
Indian Head Penny = 11.5"
Silver Dime =_______10"
Silver Quarter =_____10"
Silver half =________11"
Silver Dollar =_______11.5"
Clad Dollar =________12"
One Troy oz coin =___12"
Five Troy oz coin =___13" (this was a dinner plate LoL)

I checked my hole plugger which is a 4" dia 10" long piece of conduit with a long steel handle, it went to the 20" range

Now, in doing these test there was two people! very little background noise and one person was listening close to the speaker and a pretty high volume!

My test also concluded that the 1270 seems to like those Indian Pennies!

Below is the pictures of the targets used, the two coins in the separate photo are the Clad Dollar and the five troy oz coin.

Mark

With the new numbers posted I thought I would just add them to my existing spread sheet and put all in order from the least to most inches.

Seems size does make a difference, but the material is also making a pretty good difference as well.

As you can tell from spread sheet that most of my air testing is to compare coils for a given range of targets that I think I may run into out there. I really never thought about big items, for me in my mind if I can pickup a clad dime I figure it will for sure hit the bigger coins.

Hope you have a nice silver honey hole picked out for the 1270 when the snow melts. As I have heard it stated that dog will hunt.

Ron in WV

As for settings, I would suggest not to get to fancy until you get some time on the machine in the field. If you are going pretty much coin hunting silver in particular I would suggest running in normal disc set a little below max or you could put a zinc-er down and set just above that. Then I would set the sensitivity just under the noise and I think that is about 8 or 9. You will be running coin hot but not dealing with as much trash. Just saying that so you may have a couple of nice silver coins in you pocket before backing down the disc and end up with a pocket full of tabs. When I was running the 1270 I called that my silver blasting settings and it would bring them up. Sometimes I would just use these settings to test an area, if I could run a X pattern and come up with something old like a wheat penny or silver coin that is where I would spend the day.

Sorry for rambling a little but I know the snow is still pretty deep where you are.

For me I never did see the need to run in one disc and toggle to the other, just seemed to me that I may as well just run there rather than toggle to. That may be something you need to work out.

Just some ideas,

Ron in WV

Thanks for the responses guys. Mark it seems your test had similar results as mine. Man I'm ready to go out in the yard with a blow torch...it's below zero today. It seems this cold streak will never end. -Jay