Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Odd color tones on war nickels

yowow#1

Any guesses as to why these two war nickels a P and a S have such different color tones? The P looks dirty but it is much more than that. The color tones are vastly different, much more pronounced then what picture shows , the S is very bright. I don't remember when or where i found these but i've had them awhile. Thanks for looking.

Every War nickel i dug up looks like the one on the right, definitely silver in it.
Could be a number of nickels were minted the old way just prior to the silver alloy mix decision.
Whats the date on the left nickel?

A good coin collector or someone else here might be able to clarify if in fact the date is of the silver War nickel years.
Who knows it might be collectable.

Both are 43

The silver nickel on the left looks like what a well circulated never in the ground silver nickel almost always looks like. I've dug a couple that looked similar to the one on the left, but the one on the right looks more like a typical dug coin.

The manganese in the silver war nickels is why you often see degeneration when they come out of the ground.

The silver nickels I've dug have varied widely in appearance and how they've reacted with the ground. Likewise, there is no typical silver nickel VDI.

Silver nickels were minted 1942-1945 and beyond their different metallic composition and wear characteristics, all of them (including Philadelphia strikes) have that big mintmark on the upper reverse of the coin.

All of the silver nickels have silver bullion value many times higher than face value and are fun to find, but none of the dates are rare. If I remember correctly, the 43-D was the lowest mintage. Except in high grade, it doesn't command any premium over bullion value that I know of.

The only year both traditional nickels and silver nickels were minted was 1942.

I have a complete set of war nickels that I purchased back in the early 60's. None of them have retained the silver color and all are a darker grayish color.

Possibly the minerals in the soil may have made a difference in the color of the coins that you dug.