Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Odd silver ring

MT_VertCaver

I found this ring where the visitors bleachers used to be at the old football field.(I wanted to hunt the Home bleachers, but the sprinklers were on.) I thought I was digging a quarter and out pops this nice ring!!:clapping:

I can see there is writing inside...but my hands are to dirty to get it clean enough to read.

When I get home and get it cleaned, I can read "georgivs vi dei gratia rex". Latin??? Some kind of religious ring? I can also see 1949 and some other lettering that I can't quite make out.

I put all that into Google....and up pops all kinds of Canadian coins.

I think I have a ring made out of a 1949 Canadian quarter!!!!:jump: Someone did a nice job on this one.

I also found $.74 in clad and a cheap cross earring. (I REALLY like this 10" MF DD coil!!)

Based on the slight bevel on inside of the ring, it looks like the rings people used to make with a silver coin and a spoon. As you said, they must have used a Canadian coin to do this.

Here is a guy showing a little more modern method of how to do this using a hammer instead of a spoon but people used to tap on silver coins with a spoon for hours getting them into this shape.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5kHckNYAzI[/video]

Thanks for the video!!

I've been thinking that the ring had to be too small to be made from a quarter. So I just looked up a 1949 dime. Nope, the lettering and year won't line up....had to have been a quarter.

When I dug it up...I thought(hoped) I had a 10K gold wedding band.

It could be an Aussie coin ring made from a Florin (two shillings). I have seen a few of these florin coin rings.

Cheers
Snoop

Thanks Snoop, but I can see the tips of the caribou horns(barely).

It's from the Great White North...eh? (couldn't resist:biggrin:)

Interesting video. I had never heard of doing that and I must say that his Aunt and I are probably from the same generation. I do think your pictures of the ring are very good. Excellent clarity to be able to pick up the writing inside the ring at close range. Keep on hunting!

tjhoosier said:
I do think your pictures of the ring are very good. Excellent clarity to be able to pick up the writing inside the ring at close range.

Thanks! A pet peeve of mine is out of focus photos.