Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oh, the irony of it all!

Ed in SoDak

Irony ground, that is!

I think I may have found what seemed to be "false" signals all over my yard that only my T2 was bothered by.

It's warmed up outdoors and I've been able to dig some signals and finally check out a few "mystery" targets I've been noting and just familiarize myself more with the T2 out in the "real world". After digging a handful of bullets, airgun pellets, nails, can scraps, shell casings, iron parts and such, I came across one of the areas where I'd seen many little blips and some seemingly deep items that would read as foil, ID of 40-41, but also had an iron signature on the FE scale.

Determined to see what it was, I dug quite a hole, but couldn't find the target. At one point, I had all my main detectors out, trying each in turn. The Time Ranger would barely signal in all metal and the Gold Bug was essentially indifferent to whatever it was. The Falcon was totally quiet, even clawing it through the pile of dirt and the hole, now down to about 10 inches deep. Still the T2 would signal "something" was there.

Wishing I had a smaller coil (subtle hint!) to fit in the tight spaced hole between two trees and some roots, I pointed the tip of the coil into the hole and could still read several targets here and there but couldn't seem to get enough coil in the hole to pinpoint with any certainty.

The more I dug, the more the signals spread and moved around, so I eventually gave it up as a mineralization thing, put the other detectors away and continued hunting with just the T2 and my Falcon pinpointer.

I moved on up the hill to where I'd found a clay layer last year that gave similar false signals with my Time Ranger. Here, I was finally able to isolate one of the offending signals. It was a bit of native iron large enough to locate with the Falcon! This prompted me to grab my magnet, whereupon I was quickly rewarded with a gram or two of magnetic bits, gathered from the three or so different holes I'd dug on the property.

Now that I was onto this, I found I could locate little pockets of them all over the place. Every time they read with an ID of 40 or 41 and bumped the FE reading to .1 or .3, so I should be able to ignore them. If they had been gold nuggets, I'd be doing the happy dance and making plans for paying off the mortgage a few years early!

Still, I think if they were real nuggets, they woulda made a sweet signal. Even as small and as deep as they seemed to be, I'd like to think the T2 woulda found 'em!

When the T2 located a pocket of the iron bits, I attempted pinpointing by rubbing the Falcon's wand on the ground, then slowly digging into the loose topsoil and old needles with it. I had a heck of a time finding any signal and usually had to resort to pinpointing again with the T2 to narrow down the search area. It usually wasn't until I had removed a layer or two of dirt that I could get the Falcon to respond. The magnet made much quicker work of the job.

Now, bear in mind the T2 may have been seeing several bits at once, but I was impressed with how well it picked up these annoying little rocks and pinpointed where they were. I've hunted my own yard for many years on and off and never noticed these things before, so it has to be the T2 is simply more sensitive than anything I've been accustomed to hunting with.

I've found magnetic "fur" in the sediments from my home's water filter and in the bottom of a test pan, but never have I seen it make a signal on any detector I've tried here. Once I knew where to try, the Time Ranger could hit it in all metal, but I hardly ever use that mode here, due to all the manmade trash on the place. I'd just ignore it as a false signal. Now I know something's actually there!

I'm not sure how it'll affect my finding any possible nuggets among 'em, but I sure feel more confident in the T2, now that the main cause of the falses I've been seeing on my property has been explained!

-Ed

[attachment 20024 ironbits.jpg]

I am not using a T-2 at this time so have enjoyed following the posts. I have mentioned this "contamination" that we chase around with our detector but I think this is the first really good post I have read about what I have seen and call contamination. I found, as you have, that a good magnetic will round up this trash iron and explain those crawling around mystery signals.

Very interesting and enjoyable post!

I have to be very careful where I try to ground balance. The T2 seems to be better at picking them up than the other 3 detectors I use. That could be a positive statement. I wonder if it could pick up small bits of gold like that. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks! Well, I guess it opened my eyes a bit, and I'm happy to finally put a face on a real nuisance signal.

I've never had the habit of carrying a magnet and relied on my pinpointer instead. Now, I've got to wonder how many times I've run across this stuff at other places.

I was hunting with low disc and high sensitivity and made no effort to eliminate the signal.

In air tests, my T2 was as sensitive to small gold flakes as my pinpointer and more sensitive than my Gold Bug. I'll try to do some in-ground checks with a test nugget to see how it behaves.

hh
-Ed

about this part:

"... I came across one of the areas where I'd seen many little blips and some seemingly deep items that would read as zinc, ID of 40-41, but also had an iron signature on the FE scale."

reading as zinc and 40-41 ids don't go together. I got confused at that point.

Good post by the way. I have some places that are really noisy with small signal falses that I fiquired was rusty iron deposits or mineralization spikes. Just have to grin and bear it or switch machines for those spots.

Mike

Hi John,

I took a test nugget out with me today. I located one of the iron patches and put the nugget in the spot. Sweeping it gave two signals, one of the nugget, the other of the iron. The ID's came in the order in whcih they hit the coil. I then set disc to 40, which eliminated the trash signal. The nugget still read, but was slightly upsampled, it gave a higher ID number in the iron than it did alone. It gave 56 ID alone and in the 60's when in the iron. It did not seem to lose any depth over air readings, but we're only talking an inch or two maximum depth by either method.

Ground balancing in several spots did not change much how the nugget read. Balancing right over it in the iron made the signal "blippier" but ID was still in the 60's, due to the iron.

I also tested a small platinum nugget we found sluicing in Wyoming. It read higher in ID, 80's and 90's, and more consistently than the gold. The gold nugget's kinda long and skinny, so I think that explains the slightly wider variation in its readings.

Hunting further, keeping disc at 40, it was pretty quiet in the yard. I dug three targets today, all were spent bullets. I noticed a .22 read as 53-54 but a .35 slug came in the 80's and 90's. I found a pretty small match head piece of a slug an inch or two down right next to another iron patch.

One spot read as a good target, but as I dug, it dispersed and now read as several 40's ID iron contamination. It might be there was a bit of .22 in there I shoved aside. It started as a single target but as I dug it became 6 or so separate blips.

Targets against trees are harder to get the coil's center over them. Having a smaller coil would help.

I didn't bring the pinpointer with me today. I used any of the T2's three modes with pretty much equal success in pinpointing. Once I had it narrowed down, I waved handfulls of soil against the coil held in the air till I got the target in my grip. Then I divided it down between both hands till I got the little bugger.

If you can maneuver the center of the coil over the target without running into an obstacle, it'll pretty much nail it to a two inch wide spot.

hh
-Ed

Ed, where in South Dakota are you located? I live in Casselton,N.D. and was just wondering if you are close by the border, that maybe could get together and do some detecting together. I run the Minelab Explorer XS and do AWESOME with it. Good Luck with your Teknetics T-2 this summer.

I'm in the central Black Hills, a ways from the ND border, unfortunately. There's an old mining town nearby named Castleton, where's your Casselton located?

hh
-Ed

Here's a pic taken up the road from where I live.

[attachment 20123 goldmt.jpg]

Here's the dredge that worked the hydraulic deposits at Castleton. The boulders from the hydraulicing still line the road and hillsides.

hh
-Ed

[attachment 20124 castleton.jpg]

n/t