Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ohm rating on headphones

TP63

What does it all mean? I've seen some at 8,32,150.

This is in reference to how much resistance the speaker in the head phones have. The higher the resistance the less current flows..

A 4 ohm will play 2X louder than an 8 ohm speaker/headphones at the same volume setting because it has less resistance to electrical current.
Detectors are mostly just about volume; not stereo with the dynamics - response to rapid transients, the frequency response, peaks-no clipping amps to worry about.

It refers to the electrical resistance of the voice coil that drives the diaphragm that makes the sound. When the source is a low-impedance audio amplifier (almost always the case with consumer audio stuff), lower impedance headphones will be louder if the construction of the headphone is otherwise the same. Louder isn't always better, that's one reason why some headphones are as high as 100 ohms or even higher, and why very few are 4 ohms even though that's a popular rating for loudspeakers.

Most (not all) metal detectors have an audio circuit that is designed to make a loud BEEP! on an industry standard rating 8 ohm speaker, with minimal power consumption and low manufacturing cost. Since there is no intention to reproduce voice or music, the circuit is completely different from ordinary consumer audio stuff. The source impedance of the headphone jack is typically between 150 and 400 ohms. This is usually just about right for the very popular 16 and 32 ohm headphones. However because the source impedance is high, headphones of the same construction but higher load impedance will be louder, the opposite of what you'd expect on ordinary consumer audio stuff designed to reproduce voice and music.

Love my Killer B's 150 ohm headphones.
I have used many different kinds from really cheap on up to these but on all my detectors these give me the best, clearest, sharpest tones.

I would say 80% of these phones were at one time up to $300.00. Everyone of these phones should serve you well...Around $20-$50 each now...Type in vintage headphones, you know what site I am talking about...