Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oil Camp Silver etc.

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

My friend Kenneth and I decided to detect one of my old haunts - an Oil Camp that was active from the early 1940's to the 1960's. I and my old friend James (who recently passed away) had hunted this camp every chance we had for a good 15 years since 1985. Those were the days! The Walking Liberty's and Mercs were plentiful with an occasional Indian Head Cent or Barber for good measure. Now, two thirds of that camp is gone due to the expansion of a nearby gas plant. Well, Kenneth and I needed a change of scenery from detecting in his city or mine. When we arrived at the camp we discovered that most of the old foundations were very overgrown. We drove around looking for a clear spot to swing our coils. We found one foundation that was clear and gave it a try. Kenneth eyeballed a nice old Akro Agate marble and yelled for me to help dig a deep target - it turned out to be a 1944-D Wheat Cent at about 7". A few minutes later I spotted a marble and about 5 feet from there I dug a 1944-S silver Jefferson. We never get it all! There was not too much clear area to hunt (we didn't want to disturb the rattle snakes) so we decided to go to a vacant house in Kenneth's town where he had dug clad and a silver dime on his previous hunt. I had some luck there. My first 2 signals were a 1958-D silver Roosevelt and a 1964-D silver Roosevelt. Then I dug a few clad dimes, memorials, 2 Wheat Cents - 1945-D & 1940. The Wheat's were 7 to 8 inches deep and I got nice crisp audio readings using my V3i with the 6x10 DD coil. We decided to call it a day, while working my way back to the truck, I got a solid 86-87 reading at 7 inches and dug a 1964-D silver Washington. That was a good way to end a good hunt. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel