Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok, I’m stumped

Ronstar

Found this yesterday and at first thought it was really long rifle casing but No.
Its exactly 5” long, tube diameter is 1/2” and across the “case head” is 11/16”. Not sure if the open end was intentionally flattened or not. Appears to be copper but could be brass (nicked it a little and appears to have a reddish tint in the metal, or red brass)

Attachments

• 637A5DA5-3DE1-4E18-8461-F74EBA90958E.jpeg
    637A5DA5-3DE1-4E18-8461-F74EBA90958E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
  • E33147B1-0F6D-423E-91CE-52573C1E70F2.jpeg
    E33147B1-0F6D-423E-91CE-52573C1E70F2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 143
Put a small amount of something easily combustible (pyroxylin, gunpowder, heads from the matches etc) in the open end. Bend a long nail into L shape, so the longer side can easily reach all the way to the bottom. Put a heavy rubber band around flattened end of the tube and a short side of the "L". Pull out the "L" to approx. 2/3 to 3/4 of the length, so it's stuck in this position. Aim in a safe direction, press the rubber band down. BAM!

…I think you've found a reusable petard. At least that's what we did with these copper and brass tubes when I was a kid.

Had to look that one up…….
Says 5-6 lbs of powder for breaching purposes. Not sure this fits that category. They used to have professional fireworks on the field for 4th July years ago but this was not in that area. I’m leaning heavily towards brass right now. Just weird

Could of possibly been used as property marker.
Maybe that where they launched the projectiles from on 4th of July ?

Ok. Here are the measurements as if measuring a rifle case….
OAL= 4.900
Outside case = 0.480
Rim = 0.650
Primer pocket = 0.405

Now, the measurements are an average as the case is a very tiny bit out of round. Had a couple people look and wondering if its not a primer for fireworks but no one knows for sure.
Since I have no experience with older BP rifles then someone there could better advise, but if that’s a primer picket (so to speak) then thats way beyond my knowledge.

It looks like a piece of tubing that is pinched on one end and had a flare fitting on the other…. Is the pinched end soldered shut?
It reminds me of a “process tube” used to charge an A/C system and then pinched off afterwards.

Pinched very uniformly. The west side of these ballfields had fill dirt added to level it with the east side. We do find odd relics on the west side but rarely on the east side. This could be anything but it was the ammo look to it that peaked my interest.

Pinched very uniformly. The west side of these ballfields had fill dirt added to level it with the east side. We do find odd relics on the west side but rarely on the east side. This could be anything but it was the ammo look to it that peaked my interest.
There is a tool made that pinches tubing like that.
Probably that is what was used.

I mean soldered , lol I see it pinched sorry, if it is soldered it is a suction line on compressor either refrigerator or window ac. That's how the factory charges t sealed system .

Darn
And I was hoping it was a little cannon.
When I first glanced at it last night before bed.
That pinched end looked like a squared end. LoL
Small phone screen and tired eyes.
Could be someone's attempt at making a homemade firework out of used pipe.
Though didn't finish it.
No fuse hole in the middle.
Did a few stupid things like that myself around 12-14 yrs old. Still got all my fingers. 😁

With everyone leaning towards HVAC I will run it by an older guy in that business and see if I can bring this to a close!

Haha , glad I'm not old then lol, 😅