Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ok, I have to ask....who has expierienced...."The Shoes" while detecting?

HaloEffect426

Well, just for fun and since this is a genereal detecting forum...

Who all out there has had this happen to you while metal detecting???

You are really enjoying your day....just detecting along.... And your right in the middle of digging up, what you hope is something really good and they appear, suddenly and seemingly from out of nowhere, into your very focused, small field of view...(as I usually also have a ball cap under my headphones).....
The pair of shoes...that just stepped into view, alot of times, a good detectorist can tell right away what is going to be asked in the next few seconds, just by the size, type, condition and posture of......"The Shoes".....

Everything from "you find any gold? " to..... "My that's an awefully quiet weed eater you got there!" or "are ya lookin for land mines?"

Years ago, My detecting pal and I would get a good laugh at all those. "The Shoes" expieriences...
I think the funniest one still to this day is the weed eater one, now keep in mind this was a.very nice older fella who we explained to as to what we were doing and just enjoyed watching us find some nice old silver coins that day.so we enjoyed his company as well :)

What have you encountered with....... "The Shoes" ??
HH. HaloEffect426

Easy 15 yrs ago, I was detecting a football field (had permission) was really not doing as good as I thought ---About 1/2 hr till dark, I leave to head home and I drive past this park, Pull over and ask some people if they ever see anyone metal detecting the park---They say NO, a man says go head and give it try,can't see any harm!!!! Knowing I did not have permission, and just a couple swings to see what kind of targets were there couldn't hurt, plus it almost dark. There were so many great tones (CZ-6a) in my ears, could not help myself and had to see what the coin was.On my knees I dug a quarter, when I set my detector on the ground to dig,I had to move my coil around so it was not picking up another coin, I was on my knees for about 5mins digging coins. Looking down in the small hole I made, I could see these Big Black Shinny Shoes, I thought I might be done here detecting. Very nice LEO --He said there has never been any detecting in this park and most likely there never will be permission to do detecting, so get your detector and get the hell out of here,NOW-----Yes SIR,I'm leaving -------------------Have tried to get permission about 5 times since, Last time when they saw me, I didn't even get to ask -They just said NO- ---------------Maybe this year ------------------after1----------------

Yeah, wow,,,, i can relate...... The "shiny." Ones are usually not good!! Sometimes they have surprised me tho! With a simple..."any luck"! Er rr... Not much,,. Sir!!! Great one for the books ! Maybe this year ,for you, will be the one.....best of luck! HH

If anyone has been in this hobby for any length of time, no doubt they have experienced, "the shoes". I have numerous times. The most memorable experience for me probably has been one morning back in the early 90's while hunting the old fairgrounds in Columbus Ga. I was down digging, noticed a shadow and then a scruffy pair of boots came into view. In the boots was a homeless Veteran that asked if I could detect the metal plate that was in his head. I did, and he said, I was just curious if they actually had put one in." and off he meandered down towards the river. :blink: HH jim tn

My,best friend was an officer and an avid detectorist. Some years ago I was detecting a school I had permission to hunt from the principal. A security guard was checking the school on the weekend and asked if I had permission and when I replied I did he said he had been told not to let anyone on the grounds- so I left. A few days later, my best friend asked if I had been at such and such school and I said yes. He said the security guard had ran off a hobo (I was in shorts and tee with sandals) who was living in a van and he was bragging how he ran off such trash. "That hobo was my best friend!" He replied. I wish I had been able to see his expression- I was told it was priceless!

Heeeheeee.... Great stories ! :clap: :rofl:

Any more stories of "The Shoes" out there?????

Detecting a metal plate in the head, that's a hoot!:crylol:

On a more serious note, it's wise to remember that if "the shoes" can catch you by surprise, then the "Smith and Wesson" can too...

I know you're. right, marcomo.....that's a good point...well let's. hope not anyway....:goodnight: heeeeheee lol

LOL---Just to make sure there was a plate----------LOL-------------------------gh------------after1------------

I think we all have both good and bad.....be careful out there and be aware of your surroundings lest those pair of shoes may be up to no good....easy to say tough to do...

When I first started detecting I bought this large bowey knife from harbour freight that was about 15" long for like 8$ which I was using to dig my targets, we were hunting in this low housing income apartment complex and all of a sudden I heard this kids voice say(mister I sure like that knike you've got). He kept his distance but I knew he was just waiting on the right split second to grab that knife and run. He followed me around for about 30 minutes waiting for his chance.

I don't recall anyone getting that close to me since. At least, "the shoes," wise. It can, however, become a tad un=nerving when turning around and there is a 50 Lb dog standing on a log a few feet away observing you. I have had that happen twice when hunting the wooded area of a local park. HH jim tn

Funny you mentioned a large knife ta dig with.....i still use something like that...it a large scuba diving knife. It nice to cut a good cone shaped plug with.
And dogs.....errrrw. Yeah little nerve racking. ! Those shoes can be distracting but i think most of my encounters are just ppl. Curious. I am polite and try to answer ppls. Questions.....though I usually try n focus on my hunting... :)

Yes....those shoes have shown up often. Many questions/comments have come out of their vocal-hole. My favorite one, which has been been asked many times was...

[size=x-large]
"Do those things really work"​
[/size]

I really can't even fathom how to begin to answer that one. :rofl:

I know you're. Right.... Maybe to see what they would say to that one....

......... "Nawh, they don't really work.....I just use..... The Force....!.." :rofl: :rofl: