Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OK I lied....I didn't go anywhere:help:STICKY SCREEN:ranting:

tomtowns

O.K. today I had about as much as I could take after about a half hour...The PROBLEM??? The Digital Numbers & also the Smartfind Crosshairs get stuck in one place & won't update until I make a slow pass & as soon as I get the signal, I have to raise the coil straight up in order to get the screen to unstick & give a GOOD reading on the type tone I'm getting...Then it will be good for a little while then it happens again & I have to go through the whole process again...I know this can't be normal because when I first got it there was no problem...crosshairs & numbers bounced all over the place & never seemed to stick unless I was hitting on the same target...I went from sens. 14 to 32-Manual & Semi Auto, fast to deep & both off & both on, gain from 6 to 10, nothing helped...got stuck in lower right...for how long I don't know because I was listening to tones. When I got a good silver tone I looked down & there it was in the bottom...stuck. I made several slow passes & nothing changed until I lifted the coil straight up....This has been an ongoing problem for all except the first couple weeks but today it was just terrible. Anybody else had this problem???

Hi tomtowns,

I have had the split screen but nothing like you described, my SE went back to Minelab and they replaced the display I haven't had any problems since, it's working like a dream. Minelab took just one week to have it back to me, really great service, I would suggest that maybe you contact Minelab and go with what they suggest.
It would appear that a few people on the forum have had problems with the split screen but I think yours is a first.

All the best.....Boony

Tomtowns,

Nothing wrong with your machine. Cursor/numbers will not move until threshhold comes back. That is why lifting coil up does the job. Next time this happens try moving your sens way down 4-5 in manual.

Chris

& it was overloading the system...At times it seems to clear up & may go for a half hour or so with no problem...I had also thought that maybe it was a particular Quirk of the explorer...but today was just too much. I've been trying to learn more by tone than screen & have just been useing the crosshairs & numbers as more of a verification. Kind of makes me wonder how many GOOD targets I may have left sitting in the ground...I do know when I first got it, that when I got a different tone the crosshairs or numbers would immediatly change to where they should be...or at least where I THOUGHT they should be...Yes after the Holidays I'll be makeing that dreaded phone call to Minelab....I had posted about this before but it was suggested that I turn down the sensitivity which I did & it seemed to help a little, but today nothing helped except lifting the coil up...Yes I checked the coil connections...gave them a wiggle & that's not a problem... I also had the passing thought that MAYBE this was part of the SO-Called SLOW recovery processor...I have already sent an email to their web site, but will try to make the call this comeing Tuesday :sadwalk:

I'll check it again tomorrow, but sometimes it does stick & sometimes it doesn't...When I first got it I went in some pretty trashy areas where I couldn't move the coil an inch without getting a different signal & the first week or so the screen Didn't seem to act that way, of course being new to the explorer maybe it was something I didn't notice??? Thanks Chris....:shrug:...TT

If the detector can I.D. the stuff in the ground quick enough to make a tone change, why can't it update the screen just as quickly???

I can think of a couple reasons. It may be that they can process the signal and produce a tone ID very fast and trying to update the screen would slow this down too much.

Or more likely it may be that the tone ID being super reactive to the target as you sweep across it often producing a multitude of tones with sometimes even low iron tones mixed with the coin tones would result in a cursor or digital ID that changed so fast it would be little more than a blur. Lets say a single sweep produced 2-3 iron locations, plus 2-3 coin locations, the cursor would be buzzing all over the place. I'd put my money on that being the reason.

Charles

tomtowns,

I remember having problems with this before. It's often difficult after using the explorer for many years to remember what it was like when first starting out. Many actions become reflexive, and you just don't think about what you are doing.

I hunt by listening to the sounds, but unlike some others I always look at the screen to see where the cursor is bouncing. (I hunt pretty much wide open screen, ferrous sounds). Many times I will look at the screen and the cursor is not any where it should be for the sound I am hearing. Generally if you really shorten up your sweeps- down to an inch or so you will start only detecting the target you are interested in and not all it's neighbors. Then you will see the icon/numbers move and make you judgement whether to dig or not.

Bottom line is that I don't think anything is wrong with your machine. 99% of the complaints on the forum from newer users that their machine is acting up turn out to be user issues, not machine issues.

Chris

I don't know how you hunt but you know I hunt in all metal/ I have had this happen to me before and I've found that in each case there was iron or some form of trash/minerals next to and around my target.I can hear it slightly. By swinging across the target you are picking up the trash before you can ID the target. Thats why picking up the coil works to some degree.
To test this, the next time it happens open up to all metal and see if you can hear what I'm talking about.
Now if you already hunt in all metal and have an audible threshold and you noticed nothing wrong just forget this reply.
Merry Christmas

It was a new spot I was at yesterday & was loaded with Iron ...At least there was a lot of grunting...Today I'm gonna go back to the state capitol park because parking is free on Sundays...& in most spots it is pretty clean ground, except for stuff that has been accidently dropped...lots of police there...not many wine o's. Thanks again...Tom

Thanks Bob,I think you are probably right, the Iron signals were deep & may be from something that burned down...however it's something I'm gonna keep my eye on...TT

and all of the replies, I'd have to say I agree with Chris(SoCenWI) the most but it could be several things mentioned running together.
If there are multiple targets under your coil the cursor won't move until the threshold clears again..... Period !

Lifting up the coil, doing the wiggle, going at the target from different angles are all good ideas but sometimes to much coil and discrimination together will only give the kind of results you desribed.

That's why some folks like NHBob and myself like to hunt with a wide open screen, the threshold clears much faster because nothing has been discriminated out.
Remember, a stock 10" coil has a huge footprint. If to many targets are under it at one time the detector is trying to AVERAGE everything under the coil.
The perfect test for your situation and anybody running in disc that's having this problem would be to put on a 5" coil and go to the same site and see what happens.

I'm not ruling out that your SE has a problem but it sounds like you're hunting a infested site to me and the threshold just doesn't have the chance to come back, resulting in what you described.

Mike

Hello Tom,

Eventually, You'll rely on the tones and the slow screen response won't be an issue. The SE does have a faster screen response over the XS model and the tone change is a tad faster due to a faster recovery speed.

Most if not all first time Explorer users rely on the screen which was my case when first starting to learn the Explorer XS when they first released the beast, Then the ones who stick with the Explorer learned to evaluate and process the tones as a second language eliminating the need to constantly watch the screen.

Now, The seasoned Explorer users only take a peek at the screen when they hear something worth checking and carefully maneuver and motion the coil over the target to get a good constant visual ID especially from a trashy area. Some users and maybe you may need to go to a smaller coil to learn how to process the information the Explorer is giving you especially in trashy areas and then later move up to the 10" stock coil, It's important to learn these steps and with practice you'll eventually learn to rely on tones as your first primarily ID and then use the visual ID too carefully maneuver the stock 10" coil over the target even in extremely trashy areas.

Currently, I'm using the SE and prefer using all-metal with ferrous setting with both my Explorers for all types of hunting, I know some can't handle all the iron signals and choose Constant setting with allot of disc and don't mind the nulling effect and washing out the threshold, The Threshold is very important to hear which is an audio tool letting the user know when to slow down or speed up the swings.

Hang in there, We all went through the same pain you did when we first picked up the Explorer :)
HH, Paul (Ca)

Yes I'm "LEARNING" by tone & have been since getting this MONSTER... I also hunt in ferrous, all metal...I will pay closer attention to the threshold from here on out now that I know...this will help out quite a bit...At first I was looking at the screen on just about ALL targets, then I figured to narrow it down & speed things up I'd just listen for the silver & pennies. After about three weeks I started trying to get the tones down for different size rings of different type Karat....then yesterday happened & it kicked my butt...TT