Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ok, now I'm getting what I should!

To catch people up, I posted earlier that I was not happy with depth and that I was getting outhunted by some of my buddies who don't have Whites detectors.

What I did about it--took my detector to Whites and sure enough, they found some problems. I had been doing "OK", but just not keeping up very well, so I wasn't sure that anything was wrong. Maybe it was me, maybe it was that I just wasn't as lucky finding targets, who knows...but in the end, Whites found some things and made some changes. Suddenly my detector was incredibly more stable. I decided to crank things up and see exactly how stable, and was I ever surprised. I went to the Hi-Pro setting, ran the gain clear up to 14 or 15, and then turned on transmit boost, just to see what happened, and....it was stable.

Next test, went to a small old hunted-out park to see if I could find anything deep. Still stable! Although I couldn't spend as much time there as I wanted to, I was able in the first few minutes to come across a signal that was solid 15 at 6 inches. Could be a gold ring, maybe.....but actually, it ended up being a 1941-S nickel that had been missed not only by me in my 3 previous visits, but by dozens of other detectorists who had been there as well.

It kind of fooled me because nickels usually read 19, not 15...but I am still really happy to have found this coin, not because a 1941 nickel is such a great find, but because if I can find a nickel that deep, with that stability of signal, then a whole new level of finds is opened up.

Needless to say, Whites has done it again--the tune-up was just what I needed and I guess that for those who can do so, it's a really good idea.

I hope that soon I can start telling stories of silver and gold, but the local temperature will have to drop a bit before that. Yesterday was over 100 degrees, unusual for western Oregon.

Thanks for reading this,

Mike

Glad it is working better. Sounds like you are going to have more fun at your next outing. Sure hope it works out that way.

Bob

I've found the Spectra series models to perform quite well, and it really takes a matter of time to learn any detector's strong and weak points. Glad the problem was taken care of but, as we know, walk it into White's and you'll walk away with things working great!

The Spectra V3i is a very versatile detector and I like ti, but I have also found many people consider it to be too complex. For me, it's fine but I also prefer 'simple' as I hunt a variety of sites, and when I work with others, 'simple' seems to be a key ingredient for success. For that I have been using the VX3 as the replacement for my XLT. I've been surprised the more I use it at just how good it is. It might not be everything the V3i is, but it is a lot more detector than many might expect.

That's what I have been grabbing, more then my MXT Pro, when I want to hunt more open older parks with fiends using that other mislabeled multi-frequency model. Comparing signals between the two, the VX3 has called them correct more often than not, and provided better responses from some mid-depth to deeper targets. It sounds like you're good-to-go now so I wish you all the best of success during our Western Oregon 'heat wave'.

Monte