Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OK someone school me on the Impact for tot lots please.

Southwind

Took the Impact out for its maiden voyage today at some tot lots, and while it was fine on coins I wasn't impressed with the low conductor response. I really thought my R2 made a better tot lot detector, but then I got a feeling the Impact should do much better if I only knew the proper break points for tot lots and gold.

One issue I did nothing was that my wireless headphones had the tendency to drop connection and I could hear the sound out of the speaker briefly, generally around a second or two, and then connect again.

OK I've been running in DI3, Gain 70, Disc 3, Fe F1, notch 3Audio Tone 15, Tone Break 06, Freq 20

I have a 12.2 gr Foxtail gold chain and it sounds like a hairpin in the tot lot. I want a hairpin to grunt and any conductive to at least give a mid-tone.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

Try Di99, once you learn it, it works great in the woodchips and everywhere else, even better with a smaller than stock coil. I didn't like it at first but once I got the hang of it its the only mode I use (I only modern coin and jewellery hunt.

Smaller coils is a plus overall for tot lots. Think Monte had something to say about tot lots.
Not my main place to hunt, tot lots around here rarely hold anything except screws, maybe a coin or two. Did better in areas surrounding the tot lots.
Gold cross chain was found 5 feet away from the tot lot.

From November to April hunting tot lots is what I do. I do very well for a small town with a population of 28,000. It buys my detectors for the next summer season. I don't want to spend 5 hours combing a small tot lot with a 5" coil. Been there, done that didn't find squat for the time spent. I can take the stock 11" coil on a AT Pro or a 6x10 on a DFX and clean house on even the smallest gold. I'm sure the Impact can be set to do as well because the Racer 2 can. It's just so far I'm not impressed.

Here is a season hunt in our tot lots.

allgoldstuff.jpg

And another.

allgold.jpg

And another

goldasof_April.jpg

Just rings.

rings-onchain.jpg

Point is jewelry is one of my main hunts. Not in the water as there are no beaches in southwest Kansas.

That's a fantastic haul, if our tot lots were even remotely any good here in Canada, they would be the first place I would hunt, hunt often.
I used to do well in tot lots when I lived in Georgia, different story when I moved up here. I keep hoping to find a good tot lot.

This is what I've been using on my Impact for Tot Lots
VLX2, Gain 85, Disc 30, Fe Vol 00, Notch 0, Tones 15-40-65-70, Tone Breaks 40-55-83, iSat 01, Freq. 2 kHz
You can make the gain the last adjustment you make and that way it's the first to pop up so you can make changes on the fly as you approach the metal pipes and bars. Just lower gain as needed to get closer and pump it back up for the open areas.

That's quite a collection of tot lot finds. I usually find small cars, costume jewelry and maybe a small silver ring or ear ring once in awhile. Did you find most of those gold pendants and rings with your R2 ?

Did you find most of those gold pendants and rings with your R2 ?

Actually most was found with my DFX, but a fair amount was with the R2. Love my R2.

Tried the Di99 and it was much better. Now I just got to get that coil over the shiny stuff.