Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OL: Overload

rwsnc

When the X70 passes over something large and metallic, it gives off a different sound and displays "OL".

How will the X70 react if it passes over a jar of silver coins? The same way? Hope not.

Yes & no. Depends on depth, is the jar lid being seen, angle of target(jar) in ground. Any detector with an overload function will react in a similar fashion. I have one BH & five Fisher detectors and they all react in a similar manner. But on a large target like this I would go to All Metal to check for iron(though the lid may squawk some iron. And then to Prospecting Mode to shape & size the object.

Below is an example of what I am talking about. This target gave an overload and a mixed iron response. If I had just looked at the overload and moved on I would have missed it. But I investigated it a little bit and made a decision to dig. Was it filled with coins, no, but I think it's a neat old jar that was worth rescuing.

By the way, the left over cream was a little beyond it's expiration date, so I decided to not chance it on my sensitive mug.:lol:

[attachment 78845 jar.jpg]

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks for the response, BB. I was thinking along the lines of an old Mason Jar lid. Does the overload feature still work the same way, in All metal mode and in Prospecting Mode?

I had my X70 handy with the 6 inch DD HF coil on her. I was indoors so I set her to GB=20 in C&T and Prospecting mode. Also set sensitivity=20 in both modes.

Sorry I didn't have your brand of canning jars, all I had was Ball brand.:lol:
[attachment 78862 empty.gif]

First off I used a Fridge magnet to confirm that this has a plated steel lid, and it does. Using the jar as it sets as a reference, I measured the maximum detection distance in both modes, and the distance at which overload occurs.

C&T All Metal.....Max Distance= 12 inches....Overload= 2>2.5 inches.
Prospecting All Metal & IM=5.....Max Distance = 30+ inches....Overload= 2>2.5 inches.

I then filled the jar with a whole bunch of coins, no I didn't sort them to silver only, then did the same measurements over again. And the results were the same since the lid is the dominant target.

[attachment 78863 vertical.gif]

Next I positioned the jar on it's side and once again followed the same routine. But I swept along the axis of the jar and at a 90 deg angle. But the results were actually better. Overload only occurs over the coins at one inch.

C&T All Metal.....Max Distance= 12 inches....Overload= 1 inch.
Prospecting All Metal & IM=5.....Max Distance = 30+ inches....Overload= 1 inch.

[attachment 78864 horizontal.gif]

So at least based on the 6 inch DD HF with sensitivity at two thirds, no problem. I didn't test any other coils 'cause it's football time. But that doesn't stop you from having at her and posting some results.

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks, BB.... Don't know what I'd do without you and Digger....

Great job. It tells me that if I'm looking around fence posts, stone walls, gates and a few other key spots, that I should think about digging Overloads.

OK... now you can send me your jar full of SILVER coins and I'll do THAT part of the experiment.
gifs4_smileygrin.gif

Perhaps you should also consider raising the coil a bit so it does not overload>>>>>>>>>>>

Fred