Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ol' parrott with early T2 coil question... please help

parrott

I have one of the first T-2's off the line. I have the standard 11-inch coil and the 5-inch sniper coil.
Currently I'm limited to hunting local parks and other places around town...

My question is "what other coil should I buy for my early T-2 that would be a better choice between these
two sizes?" Maybe something like a 10x6 elliptical if one is made?...One was able to sniff out coins
in trashy areas? Thanks in advance... My Best.. js

I asked exactly the same question a few days back,the T2 has many option for bigger coils up from the stock coil but limited down size coils infact the only one that i can find and have ordered is the SEF 8x6 coil and it may well be worth you looking at the same coil.I found the 5inch coil is great for really trashy ground conditions like on roman sites etc but the problem i found was stubble i would agree you can get in between the rows with the 5inch but the amount of ground you cover due to the size is bordering on pathetic.

Should get the small 8x6 SEF coil sometime next week i am hoping this will address the stubble and small coil problem :thumbup:

Mega B said:
I asked exactly the same question a few days back,the T2 has many option for bigger coils up from the stock coil but limited down size coils infact the only one that i can find and have ordered is the SEF 8x6 coil and it may well be worth you looking at the same coil.I found the 5inch coil is great for really trashy ground conditions like on roman sites etc but the problem i found was stubble i would agree you can get in between the rows with the 5inch but the amount of ground you cover due to the size is bordering on pathetic.

Should get the small 8x6 SEF coil sometime next week i am hoping this will address the stubble and small coil problem :thumbup:
Was looking online for this SEF 8x6 coil and could not find it, who Sells this coil?
Thanks
gobum62

Mega B... There is no question regarding the ability of the 5-inch's capability to get in the trash and
find good targets and actually is my choice over the 11-inch in trash. However, I would like to have a
medium size coil. I notice you also have a 15x12 SEF. Where does one get the 8x6 SEF? Is it a
factory approved coil and can be ordered through my local dealer? Thanks to all who have responded
to this question... Maybe we should ask "scully" who has posted below? js

Hi Jim,

My guess is the "mid-size" coil is a third-party offering. FT won't publicly report on how compatible third party products are, they've said as much before. It would amount to an endorsement or condemnation of a "competing" product and I'm sure they wouldn't go there. I'd be willing to bet they have samples in their own testing labs to see for themselves, but you won't hear the results from the techs at First Texas.

It does not appear to be an easy task to design a superlative coil for the T2. Just the time lag alone before new coils are offered seems to prove out that assumption. I'd tend to think the original designers and engineers of the T2 would be better able to create a new coil. Not to say it isn't possible, just that it sure looks to be a challenge to produce a good design that's easy to manufacture.

-Ed

Howdy Ed.. Ol' friend.... As usual you are right... and I listen.... I will make do with the 11 and 5-inch coils
Thanks... jim

The standard 11inch and 5inch coils are not the only ones and some 3rd party coils in my opinion are certainly better than the stock coil not only in the build quality but also the perfomance wise,my main coil that i use with the T2 is the 12x10 SEF coil the build quality is far superior especially the fine deatsils like coil plug as the biggest gripe is the el-cheapo plug that comes with the detector if they produced a coil with the quality that Whites build coild it would be a much better product the coil plugs on the Whites are way superior.

Also the SEF coils just tend to make the T2 a smoother running combination,so saying that 3rd coil are not a good idea is some what not true,the standard coil is always tends to sound off when hitting stubble and the likes but with the SEF coils this is vastly reduced.

The T2 is the best detector that i have ever owned i am not saying it is totally pefect as no detector is but another problem that i have had to address is the camlock i bought a 3rd party stem clamp from Ebay and that totally stops all problems with the shaft so by using 2 3rd party after market products i have a much better detector than the one that came out the factory.

A few people have mentioned about the SEF 8x6 coil this was purchased from Evil bay and was shipped direct to me from Bulgaria its made by Detech who make all the other SEF coil as i understand it they help develop these coils with the help of Kellyco in the US.Why FT never produced a 8inch coil for the T2 is beyond me as they do produce these size coils for the other models in the range but not for the top range the T2.

These of course are just my thoughts and opinions and no one elses.

That's good to know. I wasn't trying to say a 3rd party coil couldn't be done well, just that you won't see First Texas commenting on it one way or the other. I've never tried anything but the stock 11" myself, so I can't say much. I do recall when the T2 was being released that coil issues were a challenge. I presumed from that it would be the same challenge for anyone else, and the original engineers had the advantage of all the tech info.

-Ed