Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old box Classic III Plus Question

nw1886

Hey all, Just picked up an older style Classic III Plus. It is still in new condition and was wondering if many of you have experience with them? (I still have a few older coils that all work well with it so picking it up for $50.00 was really an easy decision.)

Questions:

Can this box take mods?
How does it compare to the SL box unit?
With the PP being on the actual box...Is this a pain?
Frequency adjust... How much use have you seen with this?

The reason I picked this up was to give as a X-mas gift to a young family friend. He is 13 and really seems to pick up on this whole detector thing with gusto and has a real quick comprehension of all adjustments it seems. Would this box be a good starting point for this type of kid? (Learning the "basics"...with audio only...may benefit him long term but if he would outgrow it too fast, I may think about starting him out on something a bit more complex?)

All input greatly appreciated! Thanks!

the annoying 3-9V battery system.

nw1886 said:
Hey all, Just picked up an older style Classic III Plus. It is still in new condition and was wondering if many of you have experience with them? (I still have a few older coils that all work well with it so picking it up for $50.00 was really an easy decision.)
This is the model that swung me over to using the Classic series. One reason was the full-range accept capability (ED-180 in Tesoro lingo) achieved with a toggle set to Black Sand and minimum Disc. adjustment. The Classic II Plus uses ALL of the Blue Max series of coils like the XLT, XL Pro, Classic III SL, Classic ID, IDX Pro, 5900/6000 Di Pro SL's and others. It doesn't use the older-style coils.

nw1886 said:
Questions:

Can this box take mods?
Probably, just contact "Mr. Bill" Crabtree.

nw1886 said:
How does it compare to the SL box unit?
Performance is essentially the same as the Classic III SL, with the exception of the upper-end Discrimination adjustment. This was a sore point with me and the Classic III Plus and EARLY Classic II SL's would not adjust high enough to reject common Screw Caps or Zinc Cents. The latter Classic III SL, like the Classic ID and IDX/IDX Pro will knock them out at about a 3-o'clock setting. Otherwise, it's virtually the same in performance.

nw1886 said:
With the PP being on the actual box...Is this a pain?
It is a little less "friendly," but for $50, who cares!!

nw1886 said:
Frequency adjust... How much use have you seen with this?
With an unmodified Classic II Plus or Classic III SL or IDX/IDX Pro, I suggest setting the Frequency Shift at the factory preset marker, make sure you have a good, functional Ground Balance setting, and then forget that it's there.

It works if you're hunting close to someone with a similar-frequency that causes interference, however, if you adjust it very much you can shift the Ground Balance such that it will be too negative and that will cause a LOT of falsing, especially in our more mineralized NW US soil. ON a modified unit, no problem. Have interference? Just adjust the Frequency Shift enough to counter it, then quickly tweak the GB control and get back to hunting.

nw1886 said:
The reason I picked this up was to give as a X-mas gift to a young family friend. He is 13 and really seems to pick up on this whole detector thing with gusto and has a real quick comprehension of all adjustments it seems. Would this box be a good starting point for this type of kid? (Learning the "basics"...with audio only...may benefit him long term but if he would outgrow it too fast, I may think about starting him out on something a bit more complex?)
It would make a very good starter unit, or back-up for someone, and I agree with the idea of starting someone with a non-display model.

Monte

PS: Congrats on the good-priced find!

i took it to the ocean one yr ( yrs ago ) and hunted dry sand with it... it did a pretty good job to boot.. Ya got a great deal..

Mark ( ohio )

Thanks for the information! I'm going to keep it for him then! The "older coils" are from my XLT days. (Going to keep them and just loan them to him as needed.) Really appreciate the input and looking forward to helping him learn his new box! Thanks again, Scott

Well, went to my local distributor and picked up a few things like new arm padding, arm unit screw assembly etc.. (To make this exactly like new for the giving.) and...figured I'd better check out the hip mount comfort and all. Looked down at my detecting bag (an old Lowen-Pro video bag) and realized...when broken down, this little guy will fit in my dang accessories bag! No way in hell am I going to give this up! This little bag now not only holds all my detecting gear ( x2 for another detectorist and just back-up), all coils and support stuff, but also a second respectable detector!

What really cinched keeping it was my Bigfoot works with it and this was the first time I have ever checked out the hip mount configuration. For so many kinds of situations and needs, this is going to be absolutely enjoyed. Just looking down and an instant visual "on plane" is great. That box mounted toggle is as easy as pie because of this too. ( Are speaker and internal components succeptable to rain like that?)

Now I have to put my nose to the ground for another decent detector by X-mas. (If one doesn't turn up I may just go in with his parents and get the new CoinMaster and some gear or...I might just know where an SL III is...? Again not giving this up! I'll be going to the factory in Feb and wonder if they'd throw a mod to it for me? They sure had a SWEET design here.

Monte, I especially want to thank you for the rundown on this little box. You enjoy understanding equipment as much as using it and your generosity is really appreciated around these parts! HH and HH to ya! Again...Thanks!