Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old boxing camp exploration

madaboutmike

I've been exploring a section for the past few months based on info. from old timers that there was once was a boxing camp in there. Yesterday, after a killing climb over a path that took me over a rock face, and after following a path down the other side, I noticed another path. I followed and located a foundation in the woods. Within this area, I located two barbecue pits, what I suspect was the cook house, and a well. I'm positive the well is what I think it is because superficial detection around it located water pipes. All of those structures are made of cobblestone. Close by in the ground I detected a 'Danger' sign. The well might not be well buried. The cook house is on a concrete slab. Another structure is on a rotting wooden foundation and connected to a concrete slab. Don't know what that's about unless it was someones garage. Under the moss is an asphalt paved path. I found the hot water heater and water reservoir. All around is a mixture of old trash and contemporary beer and booze bottles. Under a snarl of under-brush, I found an old riding mower. My original intention for this expedition was to examine a dump I found close to the camp. Thus, I was loaded down not only with my MXT, but also with serrated digging tool and probe on a belt, a tonged digging tool long as the detector as well as a bag and paper to protect bottle finds, cell phone and a digital camera on my belt. Getting in there was easy-climbing back up around that rock face to follow the path that led me in almost killed me.

In the dump, I scored an old Heinz ketchup bottle, an old soda bottle from a local maker with label intact, a strange jar with lid threads on both ends, and a cool Pepsi bottle and put aside what I believe is a bunch of pre-80's coke bottles. Unfortunately, Stupid here forgot 2 essentials - gloves and bug spray! Superficial inspection in the rubbish around the camp gave me more booze bottles and a drug ampule.

I'm wondering how to excavate. There are many tin can lids and there's metal everywhere. All I can think is I'll have to section twenty foot grids with tent pegs one by one and clear the rubbish to expose deeper targets. Essentially, I'll be creating another dump. Where there's boxers, there's got to be crooks. Since the walk in there is tough, I may have to stash digging tools so I won't have to hump stuff in every time I excavate. By the way, if anyone sees the photo, that's an Eastern Diamondback Rattler who posed for me after a little encouragement.

I'm not positive what modes to use. I've spent more time researching and tramping around than detecting. I have the standard 9.5 and 4X6 DD coils. I this area, ground balance is a bear. U.S. Geological surveys identified 50 minerals as well as an enormous titanium deposit. Quartz and mica are all over the place. Close to my area on the edge of a lake is a tree that grew around one of the purest white quartz rocks I ever saw. I'm gonna go down there one day with a pry bar. I described the area geology to Kelly Co and was told to use the salt mode. Would appreciate any suggestions in terms of setting grids, excavating and methodology.

mike

I don't know where you are. You just described bull quartz. There is gold there. Use your MXT and follow the mineralized ground trail till you get your highest reading and get that gold!!:rofl: