Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

old Chinese coin,,???????????:shrug:

whadda

hi all,, a week or so ago I found this old coin in my yard and have since found out that back in the early nineteen hundreds the whole block used to be market gardens run by a Chinese family, and the people who we bought the place of used to find them laying around on top of the ground all over the place back in the 1950s,, I am pretty sure that it is a Chinese coin but if anyone else knows what it could be I would be happy to hear ,, also maybe if anyone could suggest a date..
cheers Roger

silvernail said:
As good a place to start as any: http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/idpage.html

thanks for the web site,, had a quick look, there is a few like it so will search some more after work
cheers Roger

Neat stuff... Congratulations...
I wonder if theres any neat
stuff around my neighboorhood?
probably is .. now I need to
find it

Ron
RLTW

Hey dude .awesome finds ,I have a comment on your coin.My wife is chinese and she seems to think it is korean markings not chinese ,sorry we cannot give a date of coin.Maybe take it to a korean restuarant or grocery store, Hope this helps,gary

I think I have found the coin on the above mentioned web site, if any are interested here is the web page it wouldn't link so just copy and paste in the browser,, it seems as though it is a chinese coin,from about 1736 to 1795,, the guy that used to own the place is going to bring around the other coins he found when he was a kid,so hope they are as easy to read,
cheers Roger

http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/chienlung/ciowan1.html

Chinese Cash coin, don't know which one or date.
the Koreans put round holes in their coins the Chinese use square holes.

hello again, this is what the coin looks like a bit cleaned up,the symbols are as close as I can see from all the choices

Here is a picture of my coin from the 1735 to 1795 era if it helps.

[attachment 150826 1735-1795sqcoin.jpg]
[attachment 150827 1735-1795sqcoinback.jpg]

Closest I can guess is a Cast Brass Chinese one cash coin circa 1875-1901 although I have not been able to find one that looks exactly like your coin which is not unusual for early Chinese Cash coins because they would often use the one die until it was completely stuffed before replacing it and so a first sruck coin could look quite different from an older one from the same die.

Hi,
I'm totally new here but thought I might drop in and finally say something after reading all these great forums. Nice coin there, Whadda. I'm interested in Chinese coins and got right into the books when I saw yours. It's a challenge to pin down some coins as there are so many variations as Adrian mentioned. Your coin is an "Emperor KAO TSUNG, AD 1736-1795, reign title: CH'IEN-LUNG, S-1464, BOO CIOWAN mint as you found. I tried the Sportstune site helpful and have another reference site Calgarycoin (period) c o m for lots of other foreign coins with pictures and more information. I love finding suprises like that.
Now I should start asking some questions about my new Infinium...
kak

kak said:
Hi,
I'm totally new here but thought I might drop in and finally say something after reading all these great forums. Nice coin there, Whadda. I'm interested in Chinese coins and got right into the books when I saw yours. It's a challenge to pin down some coins as there are so many variations as Adrian mentioned. Your coin is an "Emperor KAO TSUNG, AD 1736-1795, reign title: CH'IEN-LUNG, S-1464, BOO CIOWAN mint as you found. I tried the Sportstune site helpful and have another reference site Calgarycoin (period) c o m for lots of other foreign coins with pictures and more information. I love finding suprises like that.
Now I should start asking some questions about my new Infinium...
kak

welcome to the forum kak.. and thanks for the info on the coin,,

cheers Roger

:usmc: I have only found one Chinese coin in my life and it was in a friends yard. This location is now the outer city limits of Blackfoot Idaho but in the cities early years, was an area outside of the city used by the Chinese Rail Road work gangs.

The coin I found had the square hole and in 3 of 4 corners, it was cracked. My friend knew a Professor at Idaho Sate University and had him try to date the coin. Sadly, it was so rare, he could not determine the Emperor and such. One thing I did learn to help authenticate a Chinese coin from long ago was that it was not uncommon for them to crack in one or more of the corners. From what I understand, the imitations and more modern do not crack.

It was funny in that I was detecting and my friend was doing the digging. He raised up with it in his fingers to show me and over my headphones, heard him say it must be a washer that fell off his lawn mower. He got ready to toss it and I yelled No! I told him to push on the center to get the dirt out and sure enough, it was a square hole. I found it with my Garrett Freedom II Coin Commander.

The area I now live had quite a number of Chinese who worked the river here and the placers above for gold. Right across from me on the other side of the river is a trail and their tunnels. It is my hope I will again find another.

Very nice find and thanks for sharing.

Can you help me Identify this possible charm coin for me and let me know just how much is it worth. I have been looking all over to find someone to help me out with this. I seen your name or well e-mail address on one of the web sites and thought you might can tell me something. I hope so. Thank you for your time. Singed Frank James at E-mail alphadestiny67@aol.com

Hi Frank,
Side one is very common on a lot of Chinese charms you can buy today. The translation says: "May the wrath of the God of Thunder destroy the devils and send down purity! May bogies be killed and thus free us from evil influences and keep us eternally safe! Receive this command from T'ai Shang Lao Chun (Lao Tzu) and let it be executed as fast as Lu Ling (the famous runner of the time of Mu Wang - 10th century B.C.)!"

Side two is a combination of the eight trigrams and the Chinese zodiac.
There are many variations of this charm. Depending on if you found it in the ground it might have some value but there are a lot of recent copies floating around sold as souvenirs. Here is a reference page with more info http://primaltrek.com/daoist.html
Sorry but I don't have any references to give it any value yet.
regards,
kak