Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

old coin i.d.

sfox54

having trouble i.d.-ing this coin. it is copper, just a bit bigger than a nickel but thinner, doesn't seem to have a reeded edge. i am afraid to try to clean it other than the warm water and dawn i used. thanks for looking

I don't know my coins like I used to.....But as I remember this is a English cent.....Or something close to that. Someone will know.

Sort of resembles silhouette of Georgivs V

Definitely British in origin but if you look at British coins from the turn of the century they don't have a back that looks similar and the bust sits lower on the front.
There are quite a few British colony coins from that time frame that could fit the bill. Hard to tell since the coin pictured is so worn.

Try soaking it in Olive Oil, it seems to be the safest way to loosen the crud. I do it for a week, and then use a very soft toothbrush and "lightly" brush it, rinse with soap and water and repeat. I've gotten pretty good results. Sometimes I use a graphite pencil and barely touch it to loosen some of the crud. Check out my post on Cleaning Indian Heads.