Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old coin?

harrisiv

Anyone know what this is? Found it with my Equinox 800 today in the wet sand on Texas coast. Back side is not really recognizable and don't want to clean until I have more information.

Attachments

• 86838.jpeg
    86838.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 86840.jpeg
    86840.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 154
Can you advise which part of the Texas Gulf coast? So. or north Padre, Central or northern (Galveston/Freeport)?? Used to live near Matagorda...so, just curious.

North Padre Island
Isn't most of Padre Island off limits to detecting because of being a Bird Sanctuary? My ex & I travelled through Galveston & while renting a room for the night, as a storm was brewing, a Sand storm blew in & filled our small tent trailer with sand--had to clean it before leaving Texas! We drove through the Salt Flats before that where there were Rattlesnakes, and we didn't dare to stop! Hate snakes of any kind PERIOD!! Ma

Isn't most of Padre Island off limits to detecting because of being a Bird Sanctuary? My ex & I travelled through Galveston & while renting a room for the night, as a storm was brewing, a Sand storm blew in & filled our small tent trailer with sand--had to clean it before leaving Texas! We drove through the Salt Flats before that where there were Rattlesnakes, and we didn't dare to stop! Hate snakes of any kind PERIOD!! Ma
Yep. Tx Gulf coast 'salt grass' is a great GREAT place to encounter rattle snakes. Have dispatched several myself while wade fishing and 'floundering' at night. It's a good thing they have and use their little noise maker. :oops:
The trick is...walk slow, make lots of noise (actually heavy feet...they can't hear), carry illumination and don't forget something to defend yourself.

Last edited:
Ma - Padre Island National Seashore is a BIG no-no. However north of the national seashore is generally allowed. Not sure about Mustang Island State Park but I would avoid it too until I researched it more. This was found on the beach in about 8" of wet sand a bit closer to Port Aransas, TX. I have never found a relic on the beach there before...mostly junk, coins, and some jewelry. Experienced guys that used to hunt this area frequently stopped and say its mostly just full of trash.

My gut tells me it is most likely not going to be a real coin. One coin aficionado wrote it could be a "lead bale (bag) seal from the Spanish colonial period, used to seal goods for shipping. Spanish would seem most likely based on the Texas coast find spot but not the only possibility." Most "experts" recommend against cleaning. Size is a little smaller than a quarter. Has some weight but not very heavy. Oh well, I guess there is some fun knowing its absolutely junk. I appreciate everyone ones opinions either way. I am a realist.

Ma - Padre Island National Seashore is a BIG no-no. However north of the national seashore is generally allowed. Not sure about Mustang Island State Park but I would avoid it too until I researched it more. This was found on the beach in about 8" of wet sand a bit closer to Port Aransas, TX. I have never found a relic on the beach there before...mostly junk, coins, and some jewelry. Experienced guys that used to hunt this area frequently stopped and say its mostly just full of trash.

My gut tells me it is most likely not going to be a real coin. One coin aficionado wrote it could be a "lead bale (bag) seal from the Spanish colonial period, used to seal goods for shipping. Spanish would seem most likely based on the Texas coast find spot but not the only possibility." Most "experts" recommend against cleaning. Size is a little smaller than a quarter. Has some weight but not very heavy. Oh well, I guess there is some fun knowing its absolutely junk. I appreciate everyone ones opinions either way. I am a realist.
harrisiv: Are you sure it is fake? Has a Coin Dealer looked at it, because real ones are being found after hurricanes & storms? Anyway, you found something unusual & different! I have some by buying membership into Roy Volker's salvaging expeditions & he divided what he found among those who helped finance him! My luck was it never paid off for me, as even though he explored rented ships off Mel Fisher, he didn't find the loads to make himself or his investors rich! So you could say I lost $6,000 in the three times I invested & got slim pickings back--I was #13 in my club group; so I was the last getting anything GOOD or very valuable but I do like having what I have & seeing them once in a great while! The kids will inherit them if, I can't get well enough to get to the Coin Dealers & sell them, my son sure would like to have them & the rest of my collection I've collected since the '60's & while detecting! Easy come; easy go?? Sure miss hunting those goodies but all good times & things come to an end; especially, when bad health is concerned! God BLESS & Happy Good Hunting! Ma

To determine if it is lead or silver, place it on an ice cube.
If it starts melting instantly where the coin contacts the ice it is silver... if not, it must be lead.
Looks like a silver coin to me.... if so, you made a great find!!!
Keep us posted....

Ma, not certain yet its a fake. Just very odd that you would find this at the high tide line after extremely high tides. Object was found in a patch of heavier targets like weights and quarters in an intense grid search in front of a higher end beach community. Guess a kid could have been playing pirate building sand castles. My main suspicion about its authenticity is that I recall it rung up 20/21 on my Equinox 800. That is typically very low for the silver jewelry I find...would be more excited if it felt heavier since falls in range of heavier gold rings. Someone on another forum was skeptical of the discouraging TDI number. But...could have to do with encrustation. Object also has what looks like is gold coloring showing though on side opposite of cross. Will try the ice cube test (thank you fwcrawford).

Ma, not certain yet its a fake. Just very odd that you would find this at the high tide line after extremely high tides. Object was found in a patch of heavier targets like weights and quarters in an intense grid search in front of a higher end beach community. Guess a kid could have been playing pirate building sand castles. My main suspicion about its authenticity is that I recall it rung up 20/21 on my Equinox 800. That is typically very low for the silver jewelry I find...would be more excited if it felt heavier since falls in range of heavier gold rings. Someone on another forum was skeptical of the discouraging TDI number. But...could have to do with encrustation. Object also has what looks like is gold coloring showing though on side opposite of cross. Will try the ice cube test (thank you fwcrawford).
Could be a Gold Dubbloon, if so, that is great news--I never had one of those--Wish you Luck & God's Blessings that it is real & a great find! Ma

Only two kinds of snakes I am afraid of, Big ones and little ones. Only two sizes. This covers all of them.

Carver

Even below the high tide line?