Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Coinmaster Classic 1 - Rescued & Repaired

Tarot

I recently saved form almost certain death an old Coinmaster Classic I, it was being thrown away presumably because it was not working. It looked so sad in the builders skip, but after asking permission from the owners the rescue was made. There was a luggage label attached to the stem with the name “Wallace” on it, so this is what my new friend is now called.

The first thing I noticed was the age of the 3 x 9v batteries which had an expiry date of the year 2000, so I am guessing this machine has not been used for many years. The battery connectors were broken and the battery leads had discoloured conductors.

I have replaced the battery leads and inserted a fresh set of batteries and to my surprise the machine is fully working again. After a thorough clean I was extremely surprised to see what great condition the control box, coil and rods were in. Apart from a few minor scratches the machine looks like it has just left the factory.

I have owned many detectors including some Whites models, but can’t believe how good this old entry level machine performs. It has a very crisp target response and some impressive depth.

It’s a testament to the build quality of Whites machines, how this little guy has survived years of neglect. And with minimal repair, looks ready to provide years of future service.

Does anyone know where I can get a coil cover for the 8" 6B coil?

Regards Bob & Wallace

Cool. I have my first one I received for my 10th birthday. It stopped working and I took it apart and boxed it up. I have been meaning to send it to whites for repair. Its 34 years old but I remember fin mmding lots of stuff with it. Nothing of value but when your 10 is was all treasure!

I emailed my story about the rescue of Wallace to Whites UK and I also asked them how old he was and if there was a coil cover still available for this model.

They confirmed he was made in April 1994 so was one of the later models prior to the release of the SL series. They enjoyed the story and have offered to send me a coil cover free of charge, what great customer service.

Below are some pictures of Wallace rescued, repaired and ready for action.

Regards Bob

Thanks for posting the pics Bob. Wallace will probably last another 21 years.,and some.:thumbup:

Pleased you got a coil cover, Whites customer service is the best.

Les.

Wonderful post Tarot I have several old,40+ years, that have been retired and I sometimes take a trip down memory lane when I see them hanging on the wall in the shed. If only I could relive the good times these guys have given me.