Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Garret Detector-Is this one good?

SpiritRelic

My relic hunting partner got this cool Garret detector today
In hard case,two coils.This thing is massive.I had a whites about this size back in the day.I remember this detector?What year is this detector.My guess.83:confused:This is a work of art too me.And i never had a Garret.Might try one.I mean Garret ain't that bad right guys.

That thing looks mint! Whats it take for power? A trolling motor battery? :rofl:
Mud

Boy that's a dinasour. Circa late 1970's. I think they might have made those up till about '81 or so. They took an entire tray of 9-volt batteris as I recall (to answer your question mud-puppy :)

ANY vlf-tr is going to be left woefully in the dust, when compared to today's machines. They went the way of the dinasours when motion discrimination got deeper, handled ground better, etc... The first motion disc. was actually in 1977 (with the Red Baron). And Whites quickly followed in 1978 (with the first 6000). But Garrett didn't follow suit as quickly. They didn't come out with their "answer" to the new craze, with their own versions of motion disc. till about '81 or so.

That machine however did have a nice all-metal mode, which .... is still ok in today's world. I mean, IF you had an area where you didn't need disc. (no need to pass nails, etc...). So for example, the beach, etc... But the disc. mode on any TR was a pain to use. A bear to keep balanced, lacked depth, didn't work in nasty minerals, etc....

I checked it out.This is a 1982 model.This must be the year vlf started to get a hold in the market.It has a switch to toggle to VLF or TR.It has a tray of 9v.I think 6.I tried the Red Baron when it came out but i took it back and got a Whites Coinmaster 5900,something like that.Detectors were harder to use but i remember getting good results and depth from TR detectors.This Garret is something to hold.It fired right up and hit good on coins.That is as far as i got.The trigger on the end of the handle could switch between modes also.

Yeah-this was popular during the era of reverse discrimination. Toggle to a/m mode-find target-toggle to tr disc-place coil on target center-release toggle. Move coil away and if the tone increases=trash. If tone goes down-good target, depending on where disc is set.

Sold as the worlds most advanced detector back in 1985. Seven coils both Co-Planner and Co-Axial types. Bloodhound deep seeker hoard hunter attachment. Also coils with 9 to 50 feet of cable. Six 9 volt batteries to provide power. Automatic battery check. Semi-automatic tuning did away with the need for mercury cut out switches. Salt water mode and really deep all metal mode.

The ADS (automatic detection system) switch on the handle (if you haven't got the instruction booklet) is multipurpose. Press right and release for VLF discrimination mode, press right and hold and TR discrimination mode is activated. Each movement retunes the detector. If the VLF/TR panel switch is flipped the ADS handle switch swaps the VLF and TR operations over.

Still work better than many of the cheaper motion machines of today with the drawback of being fairly heavy on batteries and the weight which was going on 5 lbs even with the stock 7.5 inch coil.

UK Brian said:
Sold as the worlds most advanced detector back in 1985. Seven coils both Co-Planner and Co-Axial types. Bloodhound deep seeker hoard hunter attachment. Also coils with 9 to 50 feet of cable. Six 9 volt batteries to provide power. Automatic battery check. Semi-automatic tuning did away with the need for mercury cut out switches. Salt water mode and really deep all metal mode.

The ADS (automatic detection system) switch on the handle (if you haven't got the instruction booklet) is multipurpose. Press right and release for VLF discrimination mode, press right and hold and TR discrimination mode is activated. Each movement retunes the detector. If the VLF/TR panel switch is flipped the ADS handle switch swaps the VLF and TR operations over.

Still work better than many of the cheaper motion machines of today with the drawback of being fairly heavy on batteries and the weight which was going on 5 lbs even with the stock 7.5 inch coil.

The ADS 3 also had pin point and depth reading. You press the toggle to the left and hold for these two options.
You also see on the panel a screw head with no knob marked audio. It is your "NULL" set. That is what sets your threshold. You also have a knob that adjusts the tone too your ears liking.
I have forgotten the exact procedure for ground balancing. But you can get that from Garrett either on their web site or by phoning them. If I remember correctly, you hold the detector waist high, hold the toggle to either side getting the threshold and pump it like the current model detectors. It has a 10 turn ground balance switch. Be sure the tuning selector is in the manual position while you ground balance. The "NULL" or threshold is to be set only loud enough to hear. In the field you want to set it in VLF Disc. and semi auto tuning.
Once you learn this detector it will amaze you with what it can do. This was my main detector for 25 years. It was as good as it got for many years. I retired it when I got my MXT in 2011.

plidn1 said:
UK Brian said:

The ADS 3 also had pin point and depth reading. You press the toggle to the left and hold for these two options.
You also see on the panel a screw head with no knob marked audio. It is your "NULL" set. That is what sets your threshold. You also have a knob that adjusts the tone too your ears liking.
I have forgotten the exact procedure for ground balancing. But you can get that from Garrett either on their web site or by phoning them. If I remember correctly, you hold the detector waist high, hold the toggle to either side getting the threshold and pump it like the current model detectors. It has a 10 turn ground balance switch. Be sure the tuning selector is in the manual position while you ground balance. The "NULL" or threshold is to be set only loud enough to hear. In the field you want to set it in VLF Disc. and semi auto tuning.
Once you learn this detector it will amaze you with what it can do. This was my main detector for 25 years. It was as good as it got for many years. I retired it when I got my MXT in 2011.

In the field you want to set the switch in VLF Disc. and semi auto tuning. With the toggle pressed to the left ( pressed for one second ) you will be in all metal mode. Press it to the right and release, you will be in VLF disc. mode which works just like the MXT. Press to right and hold you will be in TR Disc. mode. You will lose no depth in VLF Disc. but will lose about 3" in the TR mode.

Uh-oh, I just realized I hadn't looked closely enough at the pictures. I see now that that's not a VLF/TR (although, yes it did have those modes on there). It's an ADS III which had ... by then .... added the motion disc. Sorry for my earlier erroneous assumption. There was a bigger sister to the groundhog, that had that same "look", and I assumed I was looking that vlf/tr, when I saw the pix. Failed to see the "ADS III" logo.

I had one of those (well, the ADS II, which was essentially the same) when they came out in about '82. Found a lot with it, but .... always seemed to get my b*tt kicked by the 6000d guys of that era :) Just to acheive the same depth they were getting, I had to get the larger coil for that. So in my opinion, Whites had the better machines of that time-period.

That machine will still find things today of course. But .... if you're in a highly competive environment (worked out park turf, where you're craining for the deepies), you will find yourself vastly out-hunted by today's machines. Also that machine didn't fare too well in wet mineralized salt (unless you elected to go all-metal mode, then it worked great :))

Yeah,i would think of this detector as just a collectors item myself.Too heavy,too many batteries.Thanks.I just never had a Garret myself in my younger days.I started with the original Bounty Hunters and Whites then Tesoro.